UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

Getting starde with a PCIe design (kintex7)

Highlighted
Participant

Getting starde with a PCIe design (kintex7)

Hello Everybody,

My company is starting a new instrument design featuring a Kintex 7 FPGA controlled by an host system connected through the PCIe series 7 integrated block.

We bought the KC705 evb, and now I'm just here waiting for the board.

I have started reading around, and i have some questions about the PCIe designe flow, mainly regarding the costs.... I would like, if you wish, to hear your comments about them.

1) The reference design is done with the " Northwest Logic DMA IP", is it possible to design a simple endpoint (memory access from host, no need for DMA initiated from the device) without adding a third party IP?

2) My device (unfortunately)  is going to be used on windows system, is xilinx providing any driver example code for a simple endpoint? All that i found is the link to the Jungo connectivity windriver (which seems a good product, but the license fee is "per ID" and "per architecture" and we can't withstand paying it for every single board)?

3) How big in you opinion is the effort of developing an application that can turn on a LED on the demo board, based on a command sent from the windows host connected through PCIe? (let's say that with Linux i would do it in a week)?

Thanks a lot

Re: Getting starde with a PCIe design (kintex7)

You can use these documents to create PCIE design for KC705 boards 

https://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/boards_and_kits/kc705_PCIe_pdf_xtp106_13.4.pdf

https://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/boards_and_kits/kc705_PCIe_pdf_xtp197_14.2.pdf

https://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/boards_and_kits/kc705/2014_3/ug882_K7_Base_TRD.pdf

Thanks and Regards
Balkrishan
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please mark the post as an answer "Accept as solution" in case it helped resolve your query.
Give kudos in case a post in case it guided to the solution.

I would like to know if any further update on this issue
Thanks and Regards
Balkrishan
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please mark the post as an answer "Accept as solution" in case it helped resolve your query.
Give kudos in case a post in case it guided to the solution.
Participant

I'm stating the implementation right now, the board is still on its way