UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Visitor jhowe123
Visitor

KCU105 will not enumerate on Gen 6 Intel CPUs (Core I7-6700P)

Hello,

I am working with the XDMA example that uses only the PCIe hard IP core and we are having issues getting the card to enumerate on Gen 6 Intel CPUs. The card will however enumerate on some Intel Gen 7 CPUs (Core I7-700P) intermittently.

When we tried the new factory flash (rdf0317-kcu105-restoring-flash-c-2017-3.zip), then the card works fine to enumerate on the Gen 6 CPU systems.

What we have noticed is that our design is bases on the XMDA PCIe hard IP core example design. We reconstructed the example listed above that works and it is based what looks like a soft IP core on top of the hard IP core. Is the hard core disabled and replaced with soft core?

Does the hard IP core have issues such as a timing problem and the reason for Xilinx to use the soft IP core?

We are definitely seeing the issue with the hard IP core untouched example source.

We need to know why the hard IP core example does not work on some Intel based systems while the soft IP core based examples work fine.

Questions Summary: 

1) Is there a known issue with the hard PCIe IP core or example sources, and what is the issue?

2) Why does the latest factory flash load have a soft PCIe IP core, was that added to replace hard IP core?

3) If there is known problem, can our existing design easily be ported to new soft IP core and is there a cost increase?

4) Is there more detailed information on the problems we are having?

TIA,

John

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
Visitor arees
Visitor

Re: KCU105 will not enumerate on Gen 6 Intel CPUs (Core I7-6700P)

As another engineer on the project, I wanted to add some information.

The XDMA example code was generated in Vivado 2017.4 by selecting the XDMA IP and creating the example project for the KCU105 board.  We have our own custom logic derived from the same design that exhibits the same behavior, enumerating on the 7700 core but not on the 6700 core.

Using the example files from KCU105 TRD02 (rdf0306-kcu105-trd02-2017-3.zip from https://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation-navigation/design-hubs/dh0043-kcu105-evaluation-kit-hub.html) produces a version that enumerates on both the 6700 and 7700 cores.

0 Kudos

Is it possible for you to try the latest Vivado 2018.2 IP?

If you need to stay in Vivado 2017.4, please check the XDMA IP release notes (https://www.xilinx.com/support/answers/65443.html). You can find some AR's related to 2017.4 to fix some issues. The issues described in the AR's does not seem to relate to the issue you mentioned. But it can be worth a try.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't forget to reply, give kudo and accept as solution
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Visitor arees
Visitor

We tried updating to 2018.2 which did not resolve the issue.

I have also been informed that Dell released a BIOS update for some of their computers to address issues with this car/IP combination, but that update was not released for the Dell computers we are using.

0 Kudos
Visitor jhowe123
Visitor

This issue is still pending and not considered resolved.
0 Kudos
Scholar pedro_uno
Scholar

Here is a wild suggestion.  I have heard of some (older) PCs that have a "special" PCIe slot designated for the graphics card.  Can you try a different slot in the same Gen 6 PC?

I can tell you that I have built all kinds of FPGA designs with PCIe interfaces and have never found a machine that would not enumerate.

In any case, your problem is very curious.  Please post when you find the solution.

----------------------------------------
DSP in hardware and software
-----------------------------------------
0 Kudos