UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

PCIe DMA Subsystem (w/ Driver) for Zynq-7000

Accepted Solution Solved
Highlighted
Visitor
Accepted Solution

PCIe DMA Subsystem (w/ Driver) for Zynq-7000

Long time listener, first time caller.

I'm trying to interface the NVIDIA TX2 with a Xilinx FPGA via PCIe (using the FPGA as a frontend DAQ). The only compatible PCIe development board I have, is the ZC706 (Zynq 7000). Moreover, I would really like to take advantage of the PCIE DMA subsystem IP (and driver) that is advertised and being used (e.g., https://forums.xilinx.com/t5/PCI-Express/difference-between-DMA-subsystem-PG195-and-Integrated-Block/td-p/799767). The IP claims to be compatible with 7 series FPGAs, so I assume the Zynq 7000 would be compatible (?). Furthermore, I read in a Xilinx article (AR# is escaping me) that the Zynq is supported in a "beta mode."

With that said, I was wondering how I add the IP to my design as it is not showing up in the IP library when I select the ZC706 as my target development board. Also, are the host drivers going to be the same, or will the Zynq endpoint need a different driver?

Thank you!

R/
Nick

Accepted Solutions
Scholar

Re: PCIe DMA Subsystem (w/ Driver) for Zynq-7000

[ Edited ]

@nicholas.christman 

This is on 2017.2

Created a project for ZC706

Created block design

Added - IP Catalog / Standard Bus Interfaces / PCI Express / DMABridge Subsystem for PCI Express (PCIe)

* Henry Bucher, Baremetal Labs, Extreme Financial Engineering: btlabs.us

View solution in original post

pciedma.PNG

All Replies
Scholar

@nicholas.christman

DMA/Bridge Subsystem for PCI Express v3.0

https://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/ip_documentation/xdma/v3_0/pg195-pcie-dma.pdf

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TzzzM97L4HI

Visitor

@hbucher

Thank you for the quick response! This gets me the documentation I need to get started, so thank you very much for that! However, it only answers part of the question.

I will rephrase my main question: is this PCIe DMA IP compatible with the Zynq 7000 (FPGA side) and if so, why can I not see it in the IP catalog (when ZC706 target board is selected)?

R/

Nick

Scholar

@nicholas.christman Yes. I used it on a ZC706 like yours (I have one).

Visitor

@hbucher

Thank you sir, I will give it another go! I wasn't able to find it in the IP catalog the last go around, so I thought maybe there was an extra step to get it working with the Zynq 7000.

I will let you know if I have any other questions, you have be helpful!

Scholar

@nicholas.christman You might need to buy a pci express extender cable. If you do so, please buy one with silver shield. It helps a lot

https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/3m/8KC3-0726-0500/3M12026-ND/3641403

Visitor

Excellent, thank you for the tip! I do know we ordered some cables, though right now I have it connected directly to the PCB. I will file this away in case we run into issues with performance.
Visitor

@hbucher Can you clarify how you were able to add the PCIe DMA Subsystem? I am using Vivado 2016.2 and I cannot seem to find it in the IP catalog (it should be available starting with 2016.1 if I'm not mistaken). 

NOTE: I do see it in 2017.2 only if I am using an UltraScale device.

Thanks.

Scholar

[ Edited ]

@nicholas.christman 

This is on 2017.2

Created a project for ZC706

Created block design

Added - IP Catalog / Standard Bus Interfaces / PCI Express / DMABridge Subsystem for PCI Express (PCIe)

pciedma.PNG
Visitor

Confirmed. I can see it in 2017.3, but for some reason was not seeing it in 2017.2! Also, I could not see it in 2016.2 (although, I was certain I saw somewhere it was compatible starting with 2015.x).

Thank you for following up, I will proceed with 2017.3.

R/

Nick