UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Observer zangeneh
Observer

PCIe driver for SPARTAN-6 LX45T design

Jump to solution

I am working on a card having LX45T Spartan 6 FPGA with PCIe interface. Question is how I could move data from the root complex (CPU register) to the FPGA RAM block and vice versa? What are the possible drivers available? Would it be possible for the end-user to write a simple C code in the external PC to read/write data from/to the FPGA? The end-user doesn't know any VHDL/Verilog to talk to the FPGA.

Regards,

Mo

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Re: PCIe driver for SPARTAN-6 LX45T design

Jump to solution

Hi @zangeneh,

Yes it should work 

As you can see from XAPP1052 "The reference design also includes all files necessary to target the Integrated Blocks for PCI Express on the Virtex®-6 and Spartan®-6 FPGAs, Also provided with the BMD hardware design is a kernel mode driver for both Windows and Linux along with both a Windows 32-bit and Linux software application. Source code is included for both Linux and windows"

Thanks,

Sethu

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please mark the post as "Accept as solution" if the information provided answers your query/resolves your issue.

Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

hi,

refer to https://www.xilinx.com/support/answers/37063.html

--hs

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.

Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

Hi @zangeneh,

If you look at the drivers and applications provided by xilinx i.e., xapp1052 and xapp1022, they are tested with Fedora10.

Fedora10 is kernel 2.6.27 based as per http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fedora_%28operating_system%29 .

In General, TRD has been tested only for Fedora 16 and other flavours of linux or windows is not tested. Having said that, it doesn’t mean it will not work at all.I have seen some customers getting it to work in their linux version or windows version. We didn’t provide support for that. They did it on their own.

If you are strict about the Windows usage. Please check if you can use the library versions similar to Fedora.

Thanks,

Sethu

0 Kudos
Observer zangeneh
Observer

Jump to solution

Thanks @sethus and @htsvn for your answers. Simple question: both xapp1052 and xapp1022 are explaining drivers in Windows XP. I have a SP605 evaluation kit and a host system with Windows 7. How can I talk to SP605 through PCIe interface in Windows 7? Same drivers would work?

Regards,

Mo

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

Hi @zangeneh,

Yes it should work 

As you can see from XAPP1052 "The reference design also includes all files necessary to target the Integrated Blocks for PCI Express on the Virtex®-6 and Spartan®-6 FPGAs, Also provided with the BMD hardware design is a kernel mode driver for both Windows and Linux along with both a Windows 32-bit and Linux software application. Source code is included for both Linux and windows"

Thanks,

Sethu

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please mark the post as "Accept as solution" if the information provided answers your query/resolves your issue.

Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful.

0 Kudos
Observer zangeneh
Observer

Jump to solution

Thanks @sethus

0 Kudos