UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Participant sankalp@96
Participant

PCIe is not getting Recognised

Jump to solution

I am using VCU1525 Virtex Ultrascale+.  I have created PCIe by QDMA IP core and then using Example Design in Vivado 2018.2. After that I have created bitfile and burned it on FPGA.

On searching the PCIe device via lspci command it is not showing Xilinx PCIe. I have tried all the Xilinx Answers PDF Solutions.

My FPGA is connected to Server PCIe Slot. No JTAG is connected.

Please help me on this.

@venkata @hbucher @dpaul24 @vikas.l 

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Re: PCIe is not getting Recognised

Jump to solution

sankalp@96 

Did you test the bit file provided by @liy ?   To use this, you would load on the card via JTAG in HW manager, *remove the JTAG cable*, then need to do a warm reboot of your system (ensuring that the VCU1525 doesn't lose power).  

If that does not work, I am sending over the manufacturing image to load into the MCS which should contain the tested and qualified PCIe image. 

Follow the directions found in (UG908) to connect to the VCU1525 via Hardware Manager and "Add Configuration Device", selecting the mt25qu01g-spi-x1_x2_x4  part.

Then:

1. "Program the Configuration Memory Device" on the target.   
    1. Select the MCS file target
    2. Select the Address Range of "Configuration File Only"
    3. Select OK
  2. After this operation has completed, disconnect the card in Hardware Manager, and disconnect the USB Cable from the VCU1525.
  3. Perform a cold reboot on the host machine.

If this image does not show up via LSPCI, please provide information on the host, OS, what slot you are plugged in to, etc.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don’t forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution.
25 Replies

Jump to solution

Hello sankalp@96,

There were many issues reported for QDMA in Vivado 2018.2 as documented in https://www.xilinx.com/support/answers/70927.html for a total of 4 patches. All of these issues were resolved in Vivado 2018.3. The QDMA core started being "Production" in Vivado 2018.3 and was "Pre-Production" in Vivado 2018.2.I was migrate to 2018.3 if possible and re-test to see if your link comes up.

To Start, specifically which Example Design configuration are you utilizing in Vivado 2018.2 with the QDMA? Could you provide your XCI file to verify your configuration?

Thanks,
Cory

Participant sankalp@96
Participant

Jump to solution

@coryb  Hi thanks for the reply, attached the xci file you asked. Please have a look.

I have created my project by following Xilinx Design Example: IP Catalog -> QDMA IP -> Open IP Example Desgin -> Synthesis -> Implementation -> Bitstream -> Uploaded on FPGA.I have Virtex Ultrascale+ VCU1525 and vivado 2018.2. My FPGA is connected to server and no JTAG is connected.

The problem where I am getting stuck is I can't detect this PCIe using lspci.

Also want your help after this on how to transfer data. I have installed the dma_ip_drivers for linux kernel using this link (https://github.com/Xilinx/dma_ip_drivers/tree/8c3e1c002e3b3b48f061c88f5d912479488f0bfb).

Since the device is not detecting I can't check whether i am doing right or wrong.

@kuriharaFYIP.

Thanks,
Sankalp

0 Kudos
Participant sankalp@96
Participant

Jump to solution

@coryb 

Please kindly also note that :

1. We have applied the 4 patches (AR71375,AR71421,AR71601,AR71637) to our 2018.2 installation on Linux using method 1 i.e created a patches directory and extracted the patch zip files to the same and renamed them as ARXXX .

2. When we run the command "set_property CONFIG.performance_exdes {true} [get_ips qdma_0]" we get the below errors.

[Vivado 12-4371] Cannot find parameter 'performance_exdes' on IP 'qdma_0'.
[Vivado 12-1342] Failed to set property 'CONFIG.performance_exdes' on IP 'qdma_0'.

Probably the Performance Referance Design is not getting activated.

Please note we are referring to https://www.xilinx.com/Attachment/Xilinx_Answer_71453_QDMA_Performance_v4.pdf and feel ideally it should just work.

@vikas.l  FYIP. @kvasantr  FYIP.

Kind Regards,

Sankalp M

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Hello sankalp@96,

The property "set_property CONFIG.performance_exdes true [get_ips qdma_0]" worked for me in Vivado 2018.3.

In the AR71543 PDF it says to use Vivado 2018.2 as well as the latest patch for Vivado 2018.2. We do not recommend applying multiple patches for the same IP on a single install. That is why we put the wording "this patch includes the previous patch" in our Patch AR's. I recommend just using the patch in AR72013 and then trying to set the performance_exdes property on the QDMA IP or migrate to 2018.3.

Thanks,
Cory

Participant sankalp@96
Participant

Jump to solution

Hi @coryb ,

Thanks a lot for your help and much appreciated quick response.

We applied the patch AR72013 to Vivado 2018.2. Below is the feedback:

1. The IP in Vivado 2018.2 comes up in read only mode and we are unable to customize it as per the document https://www.xilinx.com/Attachment/Xilinx_Answer_71453_QDMA_Performance_v4.pdf page 4 and 5.

2. The Open IP Example Design is disabled.

3. The "set_property CONFIG.performance_exdes true [get_ips qdma_0]" gives an error read only attribute.

4. The vivado command prompt terminal throws up and error "This patch is only for 2018.3.

Looking at the AR72013 (https://www.xilinx.com/support/answers/72013.html)  the heading states "Queue DMA subsystem for PCI Express (PCIe) (Vivado 2018.3)"

We will try it on Vivado 2018.3 as seems like 2018.3 as it seems we both may be loosing valuable time to get it to work on 2018.2 unless you strongly feel that we could get it to work on 2018.2.

Thanks a lot @coryb  for your help , when we are stuck badly. Will update back in a few hours on our progress.

Kind Regards,

Sankalp M

@kvasantr @vikas.l @bethe FYIP.. Keeping you in loop!

0 Kudos
Participant sankalp@96
Participant

Jump to solution

@corybHi, I have done the whole process mentioned on Page 4 to 6 of in https://www.xilinx.com/Attachment/Xilinx_Answer_71453_QDMA_Performance_v4.pdf then generated bitstream and uploaded on Virtex Ultrascale+ VCU1525 in Vivado 2018.3 but still on lspci command it is not showing Xilinx PCIe Device. 

Please let me know on how to progress because I am getting stuck up here continuously. My FPGA is connected to server and with no JTAG. So is there a problem in hardware connection of FPGA, can you tell me how my FPGA should be connected like to PCIe Port of Server machine, or is it any other problem.

We had brought up the PCI link initially for the VCU1525 board using the board installation procedure.

Thanks and Regards,

Sankalp Malpani

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Hello sankalp@96,

I am sorry. I meant to say use https://www.xilinx.com/support/answers/71637.html as that is the final patch for 2018.2 and should include the performance_exdes property.

I agree you should be using Vivado 2018.3 with the QDMA also making sure to include (https://www.xilinx.com/support/answers/72013.html)  applied to your 2018.3 install.

Thanks,
Cory

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Hello sankalp@96,

We don't currently have "board aware" presets for the QDMA IP on the VCU1525. So the fact is you most likely don't have the pinout correct in IPI for reset and clocking and your TX/RX's.

I recommend building an XDMA "board aware" block diagram first and verifying that the link can come up with that. if the link doesn't come up, enable JTAG Debugger in the XDMA Debug Options (which is also not currently available for the QDMA IP) to see where the LTSSM is getting stuck. This debug will involve a JTAG cable. If the link doesn't come up, then take the pinout from your XDMA testcase and migrate it to the QDMA block diagram and see if the link will come up properly.

Thanks,
Cory

0 Kudos
Participant sankalp@96
Participant

Jump to solution

@coryb  Thanks for your help. We will try what you have suggested,but worried it may not make it easier to get to the end goal and not fix the core issue.

The "XILINX Answer 71453 QDMA Performance Report" https://www.xilinx.com/Attachment/Xilinx_Answer_71453_QDMA_Performance_v4.pdf definately seems to have been tested in your labs and works with QDMA , VCU1525 board, Vivado 2018.3. We have followed the exact steps and ensured the environment is the same. Really hence it must work as per steps in the document seamlessly ?
If its not working probably theres some small config, environment issue etc. Could be a small thing really.

It probably may be of interest to get the person who executed the test involved and have a look at the issue as really it must work seamlessly and if not we must fix the core issue which could be anything. Please check on this.

Having said the above we will however try what you have suggested , however we have one quick question for the same. Please guide us to an XDMA "board aware" document which can be of help to avoid us spending hours on this.

Help is much appreciated,valued and highly respected. We'd also like to help as much as possible.

@vikas.l  @kvasantr @bethe 

0 Kudos
Participant sankalp@96
Participant

Jump to solution

@corybHey, I have tried to build PCIe using Integrated Block IP, DMA/Bridge Subsystem IP, QDMA IP. I used these IP created the top Module using Open IP example design then synthesised, implemented and generated bitstream. I uploaded this bitstream on Virtex Ultrascale+ VCU1525. After this I tried to find the device by lspci command on redhat server. I tried all the method in answer record like warm reset etc. "https://www.xilinx.com/support/answers/34777.html" (this answer record). My major question is that what am I doing wrong. Can you please provide me a data of a project where you have succesffully developed the PCIe using IP and transferred the data? or any type of document for the Ultrascale architecture will be of great help.

Also is there any chances of wrong connection of fpga with server, as somewhere I read that the PCIe Port of FPGA should be connected with PCIe slot of host(here Server Machine), or any other mis-connections you know.

I am very thankful to you for continuous responding of my problem.

Thanks and Regards,

Sankalp  Malpani

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

I‘m attaching a QDMA bit file for 1525 which works for my test

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't forget to reply, give kudo and accept as solution
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Participant sankalp@96
Participant

Jump to solution

@liy@corybStill got no result sorry for continuous troubling you all.

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

sankalp@96 

Did you test the bit file provided by @liy ?   To use this, you would load on the card via JTAG in HW manager, *remove the JTAG cable*, then need to do a warm reboot of your system (ensuring that the VCU1525 doesn't lose power).  

If that does not work, I am sending over the manufacturing image to load into the MCS which should contain the tested and qualified PCIe image. 

Follow the directions found in (UG908) to connect to the VCU1525 via Hardware Manager and "Add Configuration Device", selecting the mt25qu01g-spi-x1_x2_x4  part.

Then:

1. "Program the Configuration Memory Device" on the target.   
    1. Select the MCS file target
    2. Select the Address Range of "Configuration File Only"
    3. Select OK
  2. After this operation has completed, disconnect the card in Hardware Manager, and disconnect the USB Cable from the VCU1525.
  3. Perform a cold reboot on the host machine.

If this image does not show up via LSPCI, please provide information on the host, OS, what slot you are plugged in to, etc.

Participant sankalp@96
Participant

Jump to solution

@betheyep i tried @liy bit file but i was stuck at the same position.

0 Kudos
Participant sankalp@96
Participant

Jump to solution

@bethetried your mcs file. After this I can detect Xilinx as serial connector via lspci. But after this when i try to upload bit file (without jtag) the server get stuck and vivado closes. On retrying i can't detect any xilinx device via lspci. So can you tell me what is the problem. Should I try is by JTAG. After mcs file is uploaded. Or any other way.

0 Kudos
Participant vikas.l
Participant

Jump to solution

@bethe sankalp@96 @coryb  @kvasantr 

My two cents: 
1. Is this problem more VCU1525 specific?
2. Really happy you come back very soon. However its like we try something out and then if its unsuccessfull its a whole day gone? @bethe  is there a way to get on call and get this speedily resolved. We can give you access to our infrastructure via AnyDesk or any other remorte sharing app and this issue can be resolved faster.

Please have a think and get back. In the mean while we are speedily arranging for the JTAG Cable as well. Thanks a million for the co-operation. Hoping we can close this issue by this week.

0 Kudos
Participant sankalp@96
Participant

Jump to solution

@bethe @liy @coryb waiting for your response. Please help me in resolving this issue asap.

Thanks and Regards,

Sankalp

0 Kudos
Participant sankalp@96
Participant

Jump to solution

@bethe @liy @coryb  @kvasantr 

Thanks for the efforts.I moved the VCU1525 FPGA to GPU Desktop instead of the XILINX Certified Dell PowerEdge R730 server. After installing Vivado , etc and generating a bit file for the QDMA Example design I can see the pci link and we have now started to run all steps from https://www.xilinx.com/Attachment/Xilinx_Answer_70928_QDMA_Linux_2018_2_ver1.pdf and are at page 5.

@xilinx tech support. 
While this is a temporary tactical fix as we want to move the VCU1525 FPGA  back into DELL PowerEdge R730 please can you now expedite the process of debugging as to why we face issues when  we are on the DELL PowerEdge R730 which again is a  XILINX Certified provided compatible server as per the local FAE.
Request you to kindly esclate the issue resolution .

Regards,

Sankalp

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

I have similar problem and nothing I've found on the internet is helpful so far.

0 Kudos
Participant vikas.l
Participant

Jump to solution

Thanks @tobyharrison  . This issue really needs to be nailed down once and for all. 

sankalp@96  @bethe @liy @coryb  please lets work together and get this nailed down, we are happy to help in sharing our environment to you via remote sharing for speedy resolution.
Its more of an environmental issue (linux kernel , bios settings ) or may be a VCU1525 issue.

@kvasantr FYIP.

Kind Regards,

Vikas L

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Hello @vikas.l sankalp@96  @tobyharrison 

Unfortunately we don't think there can be any logical reason for PCIe not gettting linked up in R730.

can you check with the vendor if its BIOS firmware has been updated or they can help you move to the earlier version and then you can check ?

Thank you

0 Kudos
Participant vikas.l
Participant

Jump to solution

Thanks @kvasantr  will check. Please can you let me know the below:

1. Version of Redhat Linux on which this was tested : 

We are on Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server release 7.4 

2. Version of LINUX Kernel on which this was tested:

We are on 3.10.0-693.el7.x86_64
Hoping the above two should not impact really.

3. Any specific parameters applied while building the LINUX Kernel during the testing?
4.  Any specific BIOS Settings which were enabled/disabled while this was tested?
5. Version of BIOS on which this was tested ? I'll definately check with the Vendor or look at it myself.

sankalp@96 @tobyharrison @bethe @liy  FYIP.. Thanks all. Lets get this sorted out.

Kind Regards,
Vikas L

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

Hi @vikas.l ,

The fact that the image I sent over worked and was recognized means the problem is specific to the images you have been building.  I am trying to come up with the most efficient manner of identifying the problem.   Could you please post the XCI and bitstream XDC setting you have been using?

0 Kudos
Participant sankalp@96
Participant

Jump to solution

Hi @bethe 

I have attached the xci file of qdma and xdc file of whole project. PFA. Please let me know if you want anything more. Thank you once again.

0 Kudos
Participant sankalp@96
Participant

Jump to solution

@bethe @kvasantr @liy 

A bit confused where should I connect JTAG to my FPGA it has no ports corresponding to JTAG. I have USB Platform Cable II and FPGA (VCU1525) has no JTAG port it has only a micro usb port of type B.

0 Kudos