UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Visitor mozi87
Visitor

Peer-to-peer transaction between physical functions

Jump to solution

Hi, 

As I know, the Xilinx Integrated Block for PCI Express supports a multi-function device, up to two physical functions for UltraScale.

Is it possible to directly transfer data between the physical functions without redirecting to upstream such as switch or root complex (i.e., peer-to-peer transaction between physical functions within the endpoint device)?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Re: Peer-to-peer transaction between physical functions

Jump to solution

- Do you mean that the Integrated Block is possible to transfer data from a function to other function (both in the same endpoint (i.e., FPGA)) with redirecting the transaction to switch or root complex?

Once the data traffic has come through the AXI-Stream interface, you could potentially route that data to the user logic managing that function.  It would not be PCIe transfers, it would be your user logic managing this - because even with multiple functions, the actual FPGA user logic interface is still a single interface.

- In that case, a FPGA will include both a switch and Integrated Block for PCI Express. Am I correct?

Please see above.  We do not currently have an IP internal to the FPGA that is a PCIe switch.  You would be doing the logical transfer interior to the FPGA, not using the PCIe side of the core.

- QDMA Mailboxes

QDMA does indeed have a mailbox mechanism inside the core that allows Mailbox transfers -- however these are not done via PCIe, they are done inside the logic in the FPGA.  This is not the same as PCIe peer-to-peer.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don’t forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution.
4 Replies
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

On the PCIe interface, internal peer-to-peer functionality is not available in the core.  However, with the Integrated Block, you could transfer back-end traffic or data in the user logic.  For true Peer-to-Peer, you would need a switch capable of this.

Visitor mozi87
Visitor

Jump to solution

Thank you for reply.

On the PCIe interface, internal peer-to-peer functionality is not available in the core. 

- OK

However, with the Integrated Block, you could transfer back-end traffic or data in the user logic. 

- Do you mean that the Integrated Block is possible to transfer data from a function to other function (both in the same endpoint (i.e., FPGA)) with redirecting the transaction to switch or root complex?

For true Peer-to-Peer, you would need a switch capable of this.

- In that case, a FPGA will include both a switch and Integrated Block for PCI Express. Am I correct?

By the way, I found that a QDMA supports a communication between physical or virtual functions as below:

'Any PF or VF can communicate to a PF (not itself) through mailbox.' (p.24 in PG302)

Is that not a peer-to-peer transaction but redirected transaction to root complex?

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

Once the data traffic has come through the AXI-Stream interface, you could potentially route that data to the user logic managing that function.  It would not be PCIe transfers, it would be your user logic managing this - because even with multiple functions, the actual FPGA user logic interface is still a single interface.

Please see above.  We do not currently have an IP internal to the FPGA that is a PCIe switch.  You would be doing the logical transfer interior to the FPGA, not using the PCIe side of the core.

- QDMA Mailboxes

QDMA does indeed have a mailbox mechanism inside the core that allows Mailbox transfers -- however these are not done via PCIe, they are done inside the logic in the FPGA.  This is not the same as PCIe peer-to-peer.

Visitor mozi87
Visitor

Jump to solution

Thanks a lot for detailed explanation, bethe.

0 Kudos