UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Adventurer
Adventurer

VC 707 not enumerated with DMA subsystem with PCIe

Jump to solution

Hi

I am new to PCIe.

I created a basic block design containing DMA/Bridge Subsystem with PCIe and MIG 7 series. I connected the resets to active HIGH push buttons.

I used the PCIe and DDR3 constraints from VC 707 manual (UG 885 document).

I generated the bitstream, programmed VC 707 and rebooted the system to check if the PCIe core in FPGA is enumerated during boot in BIOS settings.

The BIOS settings show the PCIe slots are "not populated".

lspci -x -d options also don't work (probably because it isn't enumerated)

Am I doing something wrong ?
How do I get it to work ?

I'm using Vivado 2017.2 and Ubuntu 16.04.3 LTS (kernel 4.10.0-42-generic)

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Adventurer
Adventurer

Re: VC 707 not enumerated with DMA subsystem with PCIe

Jump to solution
5 Replies
Scholar hbucher
Scholar

Jump to solution

@jagannath You should make sure you power cycle your host. PCI-e does not like live programming.

Also make sure you are not placing the board on a restricted slot - VGA for example - and that your motherboard has enough lanes to support it. Some motherboards show what is populated on each slot and the speed/version of pci express it is using.

Example - ASUS   

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wD0OEDEqjfE

vitorian.com --- We do this for fun. Always give kudos. Accept as solution if your question was answered.
I will not answer to personal messages - use the forums instead.
0 Kudos
Adventurer
Adventurer

Jump to solution

Here are my observations

1. First, I created a custom block design using DMA Subsystem for PCIe and MIG 7 series and I programmed the bitstream onto VC 707. It did not get enumerated during boot.

2. Then I created an example IP design for DMA Subsystem for PCIe and I programmed the bitstream onto VC 707. It did not get enumerated during boot.

3. Lastly, I created an example IP design for 7 Series Integrated Block for PCI Express and I programmed the bitstream onto VC 707. It successfully got enumerated during boot.

So there must be something wrong I am doing with DMA Subsystem for PCIe or my custom block design. I can't quite point my finger at it yet.

How is that the bitstream for example design for 7 Series Integrated Block for PCI Express is getting generated even though the top-level ports like pci_exp_txn ( and rxn, txp, rxp) are not mentioned in the constraint file ?

(The constraint file in the default example design has location constraint only for sys_clk_p)

0 Kudos
Adventurer
Adventurer

Jump to solution

Answering my own question.. it turns out the eval boards like VC 707 have XML files (present in Vivado installation folder) which have the requisite constraints contained in them. I guess example IP designs would pick the constraints directly from those files.

Adventurer
Adventurer

Jump to solution

I made an example design with the XDMA IP using all default settings. It still didn't get detected at boot.This is happening only with DMA Subsystem IP. 
The other two IPs (7 Series Integrated Block for PCIe and AXI Memory Mapped to PCIe) got enumerated.

I'm using Vivado 2017.2. According to IP Changelog, XDMA supports PCIe gen2 devices too. I'm unable to figure out what is happening. Could someone please guide me ?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Adventurer
Adventurer

Jump to solution