UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Explorer
Explorer

hit or miss programming via chipscope/impact

I have a 3rd party card with a Kintex7 on aboard that is a PCIe x8 form factor.  When

I program the device via chipscope/impact on a newer system with a PCIe x8 slot,

everything works as I expect.  When I switch to a x16 slot that has has 8 lanes wired up,

the system hangs as soon as chipscope/impact returns a message that the device has

been programed succesfully.

I also have an older system (approx. 2009) that has 2 PCIe x8 slots.  The system hangs

regardless of the slot that is used.  In all cases, I am able to program the device via the host

processor using an rbt file, but the process is long and I'd like to save some time.

I there anything I could look for (maybe in the specs of the host) to determine what might

cause one system (or slot on a system) to hang when programming the device.

My definitioon of hang is that the system is unresponsive at the command line, not pingable

and the RMM port is limited to power cycling.

I started in the Design Tools forum because I thought my problem was tool related, but once

I was able to recreate the problem on a system that worked, I'm thinking this is somehow a

PCIe issue.

Regards,

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Highlighted
Explorer
Explorer

Re: hit or miss programming via chipscope/impact

I would think that if you're in the process of configuring the FPGA, while it's in the PCIe slot, you woud by definition halt any and all activity, and very likely hang the entire PC.  A lack of completion alone might be enough to do it. I've seen this happen before.

My suggestion is to power the FPGA card from a seperate power source.  With the PC off, program the FPGA through the configuration cable.  Once completed, turn on the PC.  This is trivial with the KC705 & VC707 boards from Xilinx, as they REQUIRE a seperate power source for the card.

0 Kudos