UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

lspci does not show the Zynq ZC706 board

Highlighted
Visitor

lspci does not show the Zynq ZC706 board

Hi,

I am trying to use the Zynq ZC706 board on my Desktop with Ubuntu 16.04 (4.4.0-112-generic).

I need to communicate using the PCIe interface.

What I do:

step0: Connect the board to the desktop through PCIe.

step1: Program the Board through JTAG using my Laptop.

step2: Turn on the desktop.

step3: lspci command does not detect the board.

Though When I use the XUPV5 board (with Virtex-5) on the same PCIe slot, same machine. It is detected.

Please help.

--Akshay

Scholar

Re: lspci does not show the Zynq ZC706 board

@akshayjrkp look up in the BIOS after boot if the board is present 

btlabs.us --- We do this for fun. Always give kudos. Accept as solution if your question was answered.
Visitor

Thank for the reply @hbucher.

I just checked it after your reply, the board is not being detected in the BIOS.

Has it got to do something with the types of PCIe slots?

Though Virtex-5 board is easily detected, and I just verified it shows up in the BIOS by the name "Unknown".

What shall I do?

--Akshay

Scholar

@akshayjrkp look at the motherboard manual

Check if that slot is appropriate

Remove other pcie cards that might be competing for lanes

Make sure you use the board issued power supply and not the pcie power from the host 

btlabs.us --- We do this for fun. Always give kudos. Accept as solution if your question was answered.
Visitor

Thanks for the reply again @hbucher.

• I looked at the details of the slot using "dmidecode --type 9" command. It mentions it is as "Type: 32-bit PCI Express slot x16".
  • There is no other pcie card attached.
  • and, yes I am using the board issued power supply.

To my utter surprise I just now connected the board to another desktop with Ubuntu 14.04 but a 32-bit machine. The board shows up on lspci.

using dmidecode command the PCIe slot is mentioned as "type: x16 PCI Express 2 x16"

and as far as i know the ZC706 board has Gen2x4 PCIe interface.

What does this signify? What to do now?

Now the problem will be:

1.  I can not switch to Ubuntu 14 as I have some other peripherals to work with which operates only on Ubuntu 16. :(
  2. The other desktop is a 32-bit machine, not a 64-bit machine (which I need).

Any help will be great.

--Akshay

Scholar

@akshayjrkp This has nothing to do with the operating system but with the internal PCI express negotiation between the motherboard and your board. It is done in the host boot process. 

It might be that this specific slot is vga only, which used to be common. Try another slot.

And make sure to power cycle the host only after the card is programmed.

Visitor

@hbucher but the same slot is able to operate with virtex5 board. And sadly there is only one 16x pcie slot on the motherboard. Rest of the slots are only 1x. :(

Its strange
Scholar

@akshayjrkp very likely your design then. Possibly a clock issue.

Place some ILAs around and check the basics like resets 

Visitor

@hbucher Thanks for trying to solve my query. Really appreciate your help. :)

I have not used ILAs before. Will try to learn how to use them and apply the same.

But, had there been a clock issue or reset related problem, the board with same design should not have been detected on the other desktop? Or is it possible to be detected on one and not on other due to clock issues or reset signals?

Thanks again!

--Akshay

Scholar

@akshayjrkp you have been polite and willing to do your part of the work. It is a pleasure to help. Other users are confrontational and entitled - that is an immediate turn off/blacklist. 

Is there a way to force Gen2 in the bios? Something in the handshake then. But definitely nothing to do with IS

What design are you using?