UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Participant saicgpt
Participant

AXI BRAM Controller doesn't auto-increment BRAM addresses for burst transaction

Jump to solution

I have a PCIe XDMA example running on VC709 which i compiled using 2018.3. The H2C is 256bit AXI-MM interface which is connected to a 256-bit wide x 512 BRAM. The problem I see is that the BRAM controller is not auto-incrementing BRAM write addresses for a AXI4 transaction which is burst write.

The controller is setup as:

AXI BRAM Controller Setup.JPG

The ILA capture below shows an AXI-MM transaction with AWLEN= 0x0F, AWSIZE=32bytes, at AWADDR=0x1000.  It should generate a burst transaction of 16 256-bit words on the BRAM.  But if you notice the SLOT1_BRAM_addr stays fixed at 0x1000 throughout the burst (BRAM_en='1').

AXI_MM Write Burst BRAM Controller.JPG

Shouldnt't the BRAM address increment sequentially by 32 during the entire burst? (i say 32 because its 256-bit BRAM width, so address shoudl go 0x1000, 0x1020, 0x1040.. and so on..)

Thank you in advance.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Re: AXI BRAM Controller doesn't auto-increment BRAM addresses for burst transaction

Jump to solution

Can you check the register bit in the following? If the bit is set, it makes the IP in non-incrementing address mode.

View solution in original post

fixmode.png
6 Replies
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Re: AXI BRAM Controller doesn't auto-increment BRAM addresses for burst transaction

Jump to solution

If I don't misunderstood the question, AXI bursts will give only the starting address, so the behavior is correct I think. Please read the written data to confirm.

aci_burst.png
Participant saicgpt
Participant

Jump to solution

Hello,

Thank you for the reply.  You are correct that on AXI side, AXI bus will on give the starting address.  But on the BRAM side, SLOT1_BRAM_Addr (6th waveform from the bottom) should increment for each clock cycle while SLOT1_BRAM_en is high.  If you notice BRAM_Addr, it stays at 0x1000.  Refer to this example shown in PG078 guide.

Capture.JPG

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

Yes.As the waveform of the PG, address will increment. Is the memory space enough to store incremented address data?

BRAM_addr.png
Participant saicgpt
Participant

Jump to solution

Thanks for the reply.

Yes, i have 16K BRAM (as indicated by the BRAM_Addr which is [13:0] bus).  The last waveform you posted is what I was expecting to see on the BRAM_Addr port, but all i see is a fixed address at 0x1000 for the entire time when BRAM_en is high.

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

Can you check the register bit in the following? If the bit is set, it makes the IP in non-incrementing address mode.

View solution in original post

fixmode.png
Participant saicgpt
Participant

Jump to solution

Hello,

That was it!   The problem wasn't really the BRAM controller,  but how H2C was generating the AXI-MM transactions.  I set bit 25 of the control 0x4 to a '0', and now i am getting incrementing BRAM addresses.

Thank you very much for your support.