UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Adventurer
Adventurer

[BUG] Cannot assign 64 bit PCIe:BARs in Vivado 2018.3

Jump to solution

Hi,

I have created a block design in Vivado 2018.3 to test the Tandem PCIe feature of the "DMA/Bridge Subsystem for PCI Express" IP in "AXI Bridge" mode.

I have copied all parameters for the IP core from my old project, which uses Vivado 2017.4.

When I define a 64 bit PCIe:BAR I get the error "Validation failed for parameter...". It seems the parameter validation for "PCIe to AXI Translation" is not working properly. As soon as the 33rd bit or higher is unequal 0 the validation error appears. Due to this it is not possible to use 64 bit PCIe:BARs at all with this IP core in Vivado 2018.3.

Please inspect the attached screenshots for the exact error message. The first screenshot shows the IP customization for Vivado 2017.4 the second shows the same for Vivado 2018.3.

xdma_vivado-2017-4.png
xdma_error_vivado-2018-3.png
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: [BUG] Cannot assign 64 bit PCIe:BARs in Vivado 2018.3

Jump to solution

Hello @muellera,

In 2017.4 you can set the AXI Address Width on the Basic Tab to 32-bits (which is the default)

image.png

And then you can go into the PCIE:BARS tab and then set a 64-bit BAR and also a 64-bit PCIE to AXI Translation. This is incorrect. You should be receiving an error stating you are "out of range" as you truly are trying to access an AXI address out of range.

In 2018.3, please remember to set the AXI Address Width to 64 bits on the basic tab, so that you can truly use 64-bit addressable addressing.

Thanks
Cory

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don’t forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution.
2 Replies

Jump to solution

Hello @muellera,

In 2017.4 you can set the AXI Address Width on the Basic Tab to 32-bits (which is the default)

image.png

And then you can go into the PCIE:BARS tab and then set a 64-bit BAR and also a 64-bit PCIE to AXI Translation. This is incorrect. You should be receiving an error stating you are "out of range" as you truly are trying to access an AXI address out of range.

In 2018.3, please remember to set the AXI Address Width to 64 bits on the basic tab, so that you can truly use 64-bit addressable addressing.

Thanks
Cory

Don’t forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution.
Highlighted
Adventurer
Adventurer

Jump to solution

@coryb Yes that's it, your solution works.

I had set the AXI address width to 33 bits, because I don't require any more bits for my addresses (the higher order bits will always be 0). Now I would not call that a 64 bit address, but I get your point, PCIe only allows 32 or 64 address bits, and if 32 is not enough it has to be 64.

My expectation was that it will work the same as in 2017.4.

0 Kudos