cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Contributor
Contributor

Can a PCIe endpoint have several outbound request with same TAG?

Jump to solution

I aware that if an PCIe Endpoint send several read request to the host, the completion packets returned may not be in order, and then we need the TAG field to reorder them.

But I want to know if there is another way to identify the cpld TLP?

For example, if I send 2 read request of 128 Bytes with the same TAG to the host, by return, if the CPLDs don't arrive in order, then is there any chance that I can identify and reorder them?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Adventurer
Adventurer

For example, if I send 2 read request of 128 Bytes with the same TAG to the host, by return, if the CPLDs don't arrive in order, then is there any chance that I can identify and reorder them?

Well... my understanding is that you shouldn't. My reference is the PG023:

"External Tag Management: This mode of operation is selected by setting the

AXISTEN_IF_ENABLE_user_TAG parameter to 1. In this mode, the user logic is
responsible for allocating the tag for each Non-Posted request initiated from the
requester side. The user logic must choose the tag value without conflicting with the
tags of all other Non-Posted transactions outstanding at that time, and must
communicate this chosen tag value to integrated block through the request descriptor."

There's another explanation in this document telling that TAGs can just be reused upon completion. In other words,  is that you can't (or shouldn't) send 2 "on-the-fly" (outstanding) read request with the same TAG. You should receive the completion to send the second request, or choose another tag.

regards

Lucas

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hi Collipisc,

As per my understanding, individual tag mechanism for each memory read request in PCIe protocol is recommended(reduction in round trip delay and latency in reads)

I am not sure if it's an Error scenario as per PCIe protocol because it expects different tag for the next coming memory read requests

Note: In general, Xilinx PCIe IP's doesn't have support for getting the out of order completions to come in order for multiple read requests

Thanks,

Sethu

0 Kudos
Adventurer
Adventurer

Well... my understanding is that you shouldn't. My reference is the PG023:

"External Tag Management: This mode of operation is selected by setting the

AXISTEN_IF_ENABLE_user_TAG parameter to 1. In this mode, the user logic is
responsible for allocating the tag for each Non-Posted request initiated from the
requester side. The user logic must choose the tag value without conflicting with the
tags of all other Non-Posted transactions outstanding at that time, and must
communicate this chosen tag value to integrated block through the request descriptor."

There's another explanation in this document telling that TAGs can just be reused upon completion. In other words,  is that you can't (or shouldn't) send 2 "on-the-fly" (outstanding) read request with the same TAG. You should receive the completion to send the second request, or choose another tag.

regards

Lucas

View solution in original post

0 Kudos