Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

Confusing PCIe XDMA AXI Lite transactions

Jump to solution

I'm currently working on a project with an UltraScale+ FPGA. This FPGA contains an XDMA PCIe end-point with some logic attached to the AXI-Lite interface of the XDMA end-point (via an interconnect). The XDMA is configured as 5GT, Gen2, 4x and a 125MHz AXI-clock (this means I have to configure the data-width as 128-bits). The PCIe root-complex is a Zynq 7045 with Linux and the XDMA driver.

Everything is working fine, but I do have one issue with the AXI-Lite interface...

When I do a 32-bit read (or write) in Linux, I see up to 4 AXI-Lite transactions occurring from the XDMA IP. The first transaction is at the specified address, the next three are 0x04, 0x08 and 0x0C higher than the first. This is something I was not expecting. It also causes issues with other (3rd party) IP as those IPs have key-hole and clear-on-read registers which are accessed from the unexpected three additional reads/writes. If I connect a JTAG as the second interconnect Master, everything is working fine as expected.

I think I know why the XDMA IP is issuing 4 transactions in total. I think it is to fill the internal 128-bits AXI data-bus. However, I do not want that. I just want a single 32-bit AXI-Lite transaction for every 32-bit read on the host.

Could someone please explain if I overlooked something and what possible solutions are available. The current solution I'm thinking of is 'muting' the three additional AXI-Lite transactions.

Please help.... Thanks in advance!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hi @spajas

You can use an AXI Interconnect instead of an AXI SmartConnect. 

We describe the root cause and workaround here:  https://www.xilinx.com/support/answers/70838.html

If you put in the Interconnect instead, you should be good to go!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don’t forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution.

View solution in original post

11 Replies
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Do you have an AXI SmartConnect inserted in between?  We have seen the SmartConnect upsizing transactions and causing this issue. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

Thanks for your reply. I don't have an AXI SmartConnect between. My simplified config is as follows (See attached .jpg for more info):

XDMA(AXI-Lite) -> AXI Interconnect -> Rest of system (and AXI ILA)

I also connected a JTAG AXI master to the same AXI Interconnect for testing purposes. In case of XDMA, I get up to 4 consecutive AXI Lite transaction. With JTAG, I only get one.

Any ideas? We really need to get rid of the additional 3 AXI Lite transactions and I'm hoping it is something I overlooked. Any help is appreciated.

xdma_axi.jpg
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hi @spajas

I have been simulating today, and I am not seeing the same behavior.  You could provide the command you are running on the Linux system?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

Have you set the PCI BAR as non-prefetchable otherwise the CPU root or PCIe-bridges/switches can do prefetching. Use of "reset on read" registers is very dangerous in PCI based systems, learned this the hard way long time ago in an ASIC project. 

--Kim

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

@bethe@kenkovaa:Thank you for your replies. I can reproduce this issue with:

- Linux command-line: $> devmem2 <address>

- Via the standard Linux driver (kernel space) IOREAD/IOWRITE:

// Below is taken excerpt of the Linux kernel sources:
static inline void raw_writel(u32 val, volatile void iomem addr)
{
    asm volatile("str %1, %0"
             : : "Qo" ((volatile u32 __force *)addr), "r" (val));
}

The BAR is memory mapped in a driver using ioremap_nocache.

As for the clear-on-read... As I use some 3rd-party IP, I cannot change that. Xilinx also uses this concept in, for instance, the 25G MAC. Not only that, a common practice to read a FIFO is using a key-hole register. In other words, read the same register over and over to retrieve the FIFO data. My issue also causes havoc on those type of registers.

Anyway, I really appreciate your time. Thanks again.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

Do you see the BAR memory in lspci -v as non-prefetchable (Memory at c0000000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=4M]). I think ioremap_nocache only affects root behaviour, but if you have switches their prefetch behaviour is set during enumeration phase. 

--Kim

0 Kudos
Visitor
Visitor

@kenkovaaYes, all three BARs are non-prefetchable

01:00.0 0580: 10ee:8012
        Subsystem: 10ee:0007
        Control: I/O- Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr+ Stepping- SERR+ FastB2B- DisINTx+
        Status: Cap+ 66MHz- UDF- FastB2B- ParErr- DEVSEL=fast >TAbort- <TAbort- <MAbort- >SERR+ <PERR- INTx-
        Latency: 0, Cache Line Size: 64 bytes
        Interrupt: pin ? routed to IRQ 174
        Region 0: Memory at 40000000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=32M]
        Region 1: Memory at 42100000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=64K]
        Region 2: Memory at 42000000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=1M]
        Capabilities: [40] Power Management version 3
                Flags: PMEClk- DSI- D1- D2- AuxCurrent=0mA PME(D0-,D1-,D2-,D3hot-,D3cold-)
        Capabilities: [48] MSI: Enable+ Count=16/32 Maskable- 64bit+
                Address: 000000002eb2c000  Data: e000
        Capabilities: [70] Express (v2) Endpoint, MSI 00
                DevCap: MaxPayload 1024 bytes, PhantFunc 0, Latency L0s <64ns, L1 <1us
                        ExtTag- AttnBtn- AttnInd- PwrInd- RBE+ FLReset- SlotPowerLimit 0.000W
                DevCtl: Report errors: Correctable- Non-Fatal- Fatal- Unsupported-
                        RlxdOrd+ ExtTag- PhantFunc- AuxPwr- NoSnoop+
                        MaxPayload 128 bytes, MaxReadReq 512 bytes
                DevSta: CorrErr- UncorrErr+ FatalErr- UnsuppReq+ AuxPwr- TransPend-
                LnkCap: Port #0, Speed 5GT/s, Width x4, ASPM not supported
                        ClockPM- Surprise- LLActRep- BwNot- ASPMOptComp+
                LnkCtl: ASPM Disabled; RCB 64 bytes Disabled- CommClk-
                        ExtSynch- ClockPM- AutWidDis- BWInt- AutBWInt-
                LnkSta: Speed 5GT/s, Width x4, TrErr- Train- SlotClk+ DLActive- BWMgmt- ABWMgmt-
                DevCap2: Completion Timeout: Range BC, TimeoutDis+, LTR-, OBFF Not Supported
                         AtomicOpsCap: 32bit- 64bit- 128bitCAS-
                DevCtl2: Completion Timeout: 50us to 50ms, TimeoutDis-, LTR-, OBFF Disabled
                         AtomicOpsCtl: ReqEn-
                LnkCtl2: Target Link Speed: 5GT/s, EnterCompliance- SpeedDis-
                         Transmit Margin: Normal Operating Range, EnterModifiedCompliance- ComplianceSOS-
                         Compliance De-emphasis: -6dB
                LnkSta2: Current De-emphasis Level: -6dB, EqualizationComplete-, EqualizationPhase1-
                         EqualizationPhase2-, EqualizationPhase3-, LinkEqualizationRequest-
        Capabilities: [100 v1] Advanced Error Reporting
                UESta:  DLP- SDES- TLP- FCP- CmpltTO- CmpltAbrt- UnxCmplt- RxOF- MalfTLP- ECRC- UnsupReq- ACSViol-
                UEMsk:  DLP- SDES- TLP- FCP- CmpltTO- CmpltAbrt- UnxCmplt- RxOF- MalfTLP- ECRC- UnsupReq- ACSViol-
                UESvrt: DLP+ SDES+ TLP- FCP+ CmpltTO- CmpltAbrt- UnxCmplt- RxOF+ MalfTLP+ ECRC- UnsupReq- ACSViol-
                CESta:  RxErr- BadTLP- BadDLLP- Rollover- Timeout- NonFatalErr-
                CEMsk:  RxErr- BadTLP- BadDLLP- Rollover- Timeout- NonFatalErr+
                AERCap: First Error Pointer: 00, ECRCGenCap- ECRCGenEn- ECRCChkCap- ECRCChkEn-
                        MultHdrRecCap- MultHdrRecEn- TLPPfxPres- HdrLogCap-
                HeaderLog: 00000000 00000000 00000000 00000000
        Kernel driver in use: xdma
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hi @spajas,

Do you have an AXI Bridge on the Root Port side?  Can you provide the setup for that?  I am wondering if maybe the transaction is getting upsized on that side of the bus.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

Hi @bethe,

Thanks for pointing this out! I looked at the design and there is a 64-bit 32-bit to 128-bit SmartConnect. The PCIe root complex requires a 128-bits AXI interface and the Zynq only provides 64-bit 32-bit. As you pointed out before, you have seen that a SmartConnect might upsize an AXI transaction.

If this is the case in our situation, what can I do to resolve this issue? As far as I know, I need the SmartConnect to connect a 64-bit 32-bit AXI to 128-bit AXI.

*) I made a mistake with 64-bit. It is actually 32-bit, see SmartConnect detail.

zynq_pcie_root_complex.jpg
smart_interconnect.png
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hi @spajas

You can use an AXI Interconnect instead of an AXI SmartConnect. 

We describe the root cause and workaround here:  https://www.xilinx.com/support/answers/70838.html

If you put in the Interconnect instead, you should be good to go!

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

Hi @bethe,

Thank you for your reply. I tested it this morning and it seems to work! :-D

I want to thank both you and @kenkovaa for your efforts in helping me with this issue. Greatly appreciated.

0 Kudos