UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Visitor daniel_cain
Visitor

DMA/Bridge Subsystem for PCIe AXI Stream c2h interface

Thanks in advance for any help.

I am working on an application where a ZC706 eval board passes ADC data to a Linux computer through a Gen 2 x4 PCIe slot. I have successfully implemented the loopback example designs and the AR#65444 driver on Linux: everything works great. Now I am trying to show that we can read arbitrary data (C2H) from the FPGA using the "./dma_from_device" command.

I have removed the loopback configuration and attempted to send constant data defined in user logic, but every time I attempt to initiate a dma_from_device transfer, my Linux machine hangs and eventually crashes. I am currently not doing anything with the H2C transfer, and the project builds correctly.

I have looked at posts with similar problems, but most of them have no solutions and the ones that did haven't helped me identify my problem.

My question is: what is the correct way to allow a standalone C2H transfer over PCIe on the ZC706?

Thanks again.

0 Kudos
3 Replies

Re: DMA/Bridge Subsystem for PCIe AXI Stream c2h interface

I would like to follow-up on this inquiry and try to give it more exposure.

My setup:

NVIDIA Jetson TX2 with 4.4.38-tegra kernel

Vivado 2017.2.1

Zynq ZC706 development kit

IP Config: x4, reflck 100MHz, 5.0GT/s, 64-bit AXI width (streaming), AXI Clck 250 MHz, 1 H2C, 1 C2H, MSI-X enabled (everything else is default)

I am having the same issue with the streaming interface. I had the reference design working (so I thought) and then ripped out the H2C path and put a streaming FIFO on the C2H path. That's when I noticed the hangup, similar to Daniel. So I reverted back and reconnected the loopback path... it still hangs. Okay... so I went all the way back and went through the steps of creating a a fresh DMA/PCIe subsystem example design and it still hangs. I've tried recompiling the drivers and the user code as well. 

Basically, I can't even get the example (loopback) design to run through the standard test script (sudo ./run_test). It appears to configure the C2H channel, then hangs at the "host memory buffer = 0x414000" print statement.

I'm running through some debugging steps, following the call stack in the device driver/host app and adding some probes to ILA. But I wanted to give this inquiry more exposure because I've seen a couple other similar questions with no resolutions!

This seems like an important issue that needs resolved (beit a user error or an error with the core/driver).

I will follow-up with my debugging results.

EDIT: added my system configuration and my .xdc file (the source verilog is the default with LEDs added)

0 Kudos
Highlighted

0 Kudos

Quick update:

I was able to resolve part of my issues. That is, I was finally able to get the Xilinx example reference design to run again without hanging. The issue: MSI-X enabled (with MSI disabled?). 

The solution: Disable MSI-X and enable MSI.

Both Xilinx and the host (TX2) advertised MSI-X support, so not sure why it was failing. Nevertheless, MSI-X is not a requirement so I will not try to resolve that issue any further (hopefully someone from Xilinx will)

I will try this fix on my FIFO design tomorrow to see if it also resolves that issue.

EDIT: I writing to confirm that the MSI-X setting was causing the driver to hang. Changing my streaming FIFO design back to MSI interrupts resolved my issue. 

R/

Nick

0 Kudos