Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
shobbs1044
Visitor
Visitor

External Cable Solutions

Jump to solution

I am designing a custom board (device not yet fixed, but probably either a larger Artix-7 or smaller Kintex-7).  I need to have a PCIe interface via cable (looking at the Molex IPASS family - copper cable).  I am not sure what my signal length will be, but at most, it would be 3 to 4 meters.  What guidelines can I use to determine if I need a redriver IC - or can the Artix/Kintex MGT drive directly?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
drjohnsmith
Teacher
Teacher

gen 2, don't sweat re driver / re timer. 

https://www.digikey.co.uk/product-detail/en/diodes-incorporated/PI3EQX12902BZLEX/PI3EQX12902BZLEXCT-ND/6202105

<== If this was helpful, please feel free to give Kudos, and close if it answers your question ==>

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
drjohnsmith
Teacher
Teacher

Id always redrive,

reason,

probability of damage on the line is high, ESD et all,

with re driver, the driver blows, no redirver, the FPGA blows.

get a re driver with resistor set parameters, such as diodes inc, and then you can tinker with the settings if you need to .

<== If this was helpful, please feel free to give Kudos, and close if it answers your question ==>
0 Kudos
shobbs1044
Visitor
Visitor

Thank you for the prompt response. I am somewhat new to the idea of redriving.  I am currently digging through the differences between redrivers and retimers.

Given the FPGAs I mentioned above, I will be limited to PCIe gen2.  Will the use of a redriver (or a retimer?) impact my compatibility with the standard?  Ideally, I will be able to use a commercial solution at the other end (i.e., a card with an appropriate connector plugged into a normal PC backplane).

0 Kudos
drjohnsmith
Teacher
Teacher

gen 2, don't sweat re driver / re timer. 

https://www.digikey.co.uk/product-detail/en/diodes-incorporated/PI3EQX12902BZLEX/PI3EQX12902BZLEXCT-ND/6202105

View solution in original post

0 Kudos