UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Adventurer
Adventurer

[HELP] Does PCI Express Communication Need DMA?

I'm now using this core to accompllish communications between 2 ML507 boards. But after I finished the codes as indicated by the User Guide, when I'm trying to send a packet from board A to board B, I find when the time the packet sent out from A, the operating system will die. And I find board B doesn't get any packet from A. Does the communication between 2 PCI Express devices need something else such as DMA?

The 2 boards are connected to a switch chip( produced by IDT, name is 22H16), and this switch is connected to a x86 system.

Message Edited by sdbzlh on 07-08-2009 12:18 AM
Regards,
Hu LI
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Highlighted
Advisor evgenis1
Advisor

Re: [HELP] Does PCI Express Communication Need DMA?

You're saying that the operating system on x86 system dies. But you're sending a packet from A to B. 

It might be that the destination address of the packet is x86 system, not B. 

OutputLogic 

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

0 Kudos
Adventurer
Adventurer

Thank you, but I am sure that the packet destination is B not the CPU, for CPU has no such memory address at all. I use CHIPSCOPE to examine the packet sent by CPU to B, and get the destination address, which is the address of B. Then I use this address in the program in A to send a packet to B. But then the whole system died.
Regards,
Hu LI
0 Kudos
Adventurer
Adventurer

Oh, thank you very much. But I want to establish the communication between several boards(more than 30) using a switch chip. So do you have any other suggestions?
Regards,
Hu LI
0 Kudos