cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Adventurer
Adventurer

[HELP] Does PCI Express Communication Need DMA?

I'm now using this core to accompllish communications between 2 ML507 boards. But after I finished the codes as indicated by the User Guide, when I'm trying to send a packet from board A to board B, I find when the time the packet sent out from A, the operating system will die. And I find board B doesn't get any packet from A. Does the communication between 2 PCI Express devices need something else such as DMA?

The 2 boards are connected to a switch chip( produced by IDT, name is 22H16), and this switch is connected to a x86 system.

Message Edited by sdbzlh on 07-08-2009 12:18 AM
Regards,
Hu LI
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Highlighted
Advisor
Advisor

Re: [HELP] Does PCI Express Communication Need DMA?

You're saying that the operating system on x86 system dies. But you're sending a packet from A to B. 

It might be that the destination address of the packet is x86 system, not B. 

OutputLogic 

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Adventurer
Adventurer

Thank you, but I am sure that the packet destination is B not the CPU, for CPU has no such memory address at all. I use CHIPSCOPE to examine the packet sent by CPU to B, and get the destination address, which is the address of B. Then I use this address in the program in A to send a packet to B. But then the whole system died.
Regards,
Hu LI
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Adventurer
Adventurer

Oh, thank you very much. But I want to establish the communication between several boards(more than 30) using a switch chip. So do you have any other suggestions?
Regards,
Hu LI
0 Kudos