UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Observer saicgpt
Observer

PCIE XDMA AXI-streaming and AXI-Lite Master clocks

I have a question on how AXI_ACLK clocks are set up in  PCIE XDMA core v4.1 (vivado 2018.3).  I have the core set up for VC709.  The AXI clock frequency is fixed at 250MHz since the lane width is x8 and maximum link speed is set to 8.0GT/s.

xdma_core.jpg

I am using two descriptor bypass C2H interfaces which use axi_aclk running at 250MHz.  I also have AXI Lite Master interface enabled for and the BAR size is set to 1M

The question is whether both C2H axi-streaming and AXI-Lite Master interfaces use same axi_aclk?  Is it possible to use slower version of axi_aclk for AXI-Lite Master interface?  250MHz for the AXI-Lite Master is going to cause problems for us downstream. 

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Re: PCIE XDMA AXI-streaming and AXI-Lite Master clocks

Is there a problem with 250 MHz?

The clock should be connected internally in the recent core. PG describes as below:

AXI Bridge for PCIe Gen3 only:
aclk for the S_AXI_CTL interface. Recommended to be
driven by the axi_aclk output. axi_ctl_aclk is a derived
clock from the TXOUTCLK pin from the GT block; it is not
expected to run continuously while axi_ctl_aresetn is
asserted.

Note: This pin is for legacy use mode only. By default, new IP
generation will have this clock pin internally driven by the IP.
Use axi_aclk pin to clock the design.

(( Page13, PG194))

0 Kudos
Observer saicgpt
Observer

Re: PCIE XDMA AXI-streaming and AXI-Lite Master clocks

Hello @kurihara 

Thank you for the reply.

There is no problem with 250MHz as such although it's not a continuous clock which is troublesome.  In PCI XDMA core (PG195 instead of PG194), it seems there is only clock avaialble : axi_aclk.  We use that clock for axi-streaming as well as axi-lite master/slave interfaces.  But we have a large mux that generates a lot of FPGA registers using axi-lite master interface and typically would like to run that inteface slower (say 100MHz).  From your answer, it sounds like that is not an option.  

Thank you.

0 Kudos