Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kschneier
Visitor
Visitor

PCIe Integrated Blocks

Jump to solution

Hello,

I am in the process of designing a PCB around the XCZU28DR-2E FFVG1517 chip (the same chip that is found on the ZCU111 board), and had a question about the possibility of one aspect of our design.

It is our goal to use each of the 4 GTY quads to support an NVMe SSD, to have a total of 4 SSD's (it is important that we have four SSD's to support the write speeds our application needs).  Each NVMe SSD takes 4 lanes of PCIe, so taking into account just GT pin considerations, it should be possible (4 lanes per Quad, 4 GTY Quads, so 1 Quad to each SSD).

My question revolves around the PCIe 3.0 Integrated Blocks found in the chip in question.  I've read through manuals PG213, UG1085, and UG1075, and in each of these, I've noticed that there are only 2 PCIe integrated blocks available to us (picture below shown from UG1075):

kschneier_0-1613572519724.png

My question is this: is it possible to support 4 NVMe SSD's with this chip?  Is it possible to somehow get four 4x PCIe interfaces for the SSD's?  Or, if that is not possible, is it possible to interface with four NVMe SSD's through one 16x interface?  How do the PCIe Integrated Blocks relate to possible interfaces?

Thank you!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
pvenugo

@kschneier,

Yes, the device package you are using will allow only two PCIe block locations as shown in screenshot. You can only use two NVME SSDs when there are two PCIe blocks be it x4 or x16. There is no bifurcation support as well if you want to use x16 and integrate multiple NVME SSDs. You can try using NVME host accelerator as mentioned in https://www.xilinx.com/products/intellectual-property/ef-di-nvmeha.html#documentation for multiple drives.

Regards

Praveen

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don’t forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
pvenugo

@kschneier,

Yes, the device package you are using will allow only two PCIe block locations as shown in screenshot. You can only use two NVME SSDs when there are two PCIe blocks be it x4 or x16. There is no bifurcation support as well if you want to use x16 and integrate multiple NVME SSDs. You can try using NVME host accelerator as mentioned in https://www.xilinx.com/products/intellectual-property/ef-di-nvmeha.html#documentation for multiple drives.

Regards

Praveen

Don’t forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution.

View solution in original post