cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
andrius2.
Visitor
Visitor

PCIe adapters (x16 lanes to x4 lanes as an example)

Hi,

I am researching what are the options if:

I have four x4 PCIe slots on motherboard.

I have x16 lines peripheral.

I want x16 lines peripheral to be connected to x4 slot or divide x16 lines peripheral into four parts and connect to four x4 slots.

I know there are risers/adapters to convert from x16 to x1 (Like in a mining rig example), but are there x16 to x4 adapters?

Also, are there spliters'dividers that would break a single x16 lines peripheral to four x4 male PCIe connectors to be connecter to motherboard with four x4 PCIe slots (something like in an attachment (I've made that up))?

15156afe-2ff8-4e82-93bd-d2c5062673b8.jpg
0 Kudos
2 Replies
garethc

Hi @andrius2. 

This is a generic question and not specific to us at Xilinx and related to any of our PCIe IP.

You can get more information by googl'ing ‘bifurcation’. The below link provides some info:
https://blog.donbowman.ca/2017/10/06/pci-e-bifurcation-explained/

Thanks,

Gareth

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Don’t forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution.

If starting with Versal take a look at our Versal Design Process Hub and our
Versal Blogs

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
aforencich
Explorer
Explorer

I think this is not possible.  You can go the other way with bifurcation or a PCIe switch, but once they're split, you can't put them back together again.