Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
hirschdaumen
Adventurer
Adventurer

PL_FAST_TRAIN is not passed through to the PCIe core

Jump to solution

I'm doing a PCIe design with Vivado 2016.1 which is generally an upgrade from a Spartan-6 design to Artix-7.

In ISE I used the FAST_TRAIN generic to speed up the simulation time, and wanted to use the PL_FAST_TRAIN to do the same in Vivado. But I had to notice that there are no means to pass the PL_FAST_TRAIN to the core, because the pcie_7x_0 top-level wrapper file doesn't provide any generics.

So I looked at the example design, which in fact gets the PL_FAST_TRAIN passed from the testbench, but the only place the generic is used is in a constant declaration:

constant LNK_SPD : integer := get_gt_lnk_spd_cfg(PL_FAST_TRAIN);

And this constant is not used anywhere.

Is that supposed to be so?

How do I tell the PCIe core that it is in a simulation?

Regards

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
hirschdaumen
Adventurer
Adventurer

Answering myself..:

No generics are passed through to the core. There is even an note in PG054:

However, the parameters from the top-level file are not passed to the core_top.v/core_top.vhd module. Instead, the core top module is automatically assigned the parameters from the Vivado IDE. To check that the proper parameter values are being driven, refer to the core_top module.

In pcie_7x_0_core_top.vhd the PL_FAST_TRAIN is set as "TRUE" for the sub-modules, with the correct synthesis_off/on pragmas. So, the simulation is already "fast".

Don't know what the purpose of all the wrapper files is, but anyway, case closed.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
hirschdaumen
Adventurer
Adventurer

Answering myself..:

No generics are passed through to the core. There is even an note in PG054:

However, the parameters from the top-level file are not passed to the core_top.v/core_top.vhd module. Instead, the core top module is automatically assigned the parameters from the Vivado IDE. To check that the proper parameter values are being driven, refer to the core_top module.

In pcie_7x_0_core_top.vhd the PL_FAST_TRAIN is set as "TRUE" for the sub-modules, with the correct synthesis_off/on pragmas. So, the simulation is already "fast".

Don't know what the purpose of all the wrapper files is, but anyway, case closed.

View solution in original post

Hi Guy, You answer me one question about the same thing.
0 Kudos