UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Contributor
Contributor

Problem in performing DMA data transfer using MSI interrupt in XDMA-MM example design

Hi,

I am new to PCIe and would like to seek help in performing DMA transfer using MSI interrupt in XDMA-MM example design.

I am trying to perform DMA transfer between Virtex-7 Series FPGA board (VC707) and host PC Windows 10 through PCIe, and I want to perform the DMA transfer using MSI interrupt. The software driver that I'm using is the example XDMA software driver from Jungo Connectivity.

Using DMA/Bridge Subsystem for PCI Express v4.1 IP core, I have implemented 2 user interrupts. Then I generated its AXI4-MM Example design with User IRQ Example Design attached to it (pg 100 of pg195-pcie-dma).

Following shows the active address space:

1. Bar 0 (user IRQ registers) - (0x100000 bytes)

2. Bar 1 (PCIe to DMA registers) - (0x10000 bytes)

To allow MSI interrupt to take place, I disabled legacy interrupt by implementing interrupt disable in the PCI command register (write x0507 to the PCI command register (offset: x04 of PCI configuration registers)). Next I made sure that msi enable bit is set to '1' in the MSI control register (offset: x49 of PCI configuration registers) [Data reads x00 81 in MSI control register].

After which, I accessed to Bar 1 (PCIe to DMA registers space) to enable the user interrupt. Following are the actions that take place in the PCIe to DMA registers space:

- set bit 0 to user interrupt enable mask (offset: x2004)

- set bit 0 to engine interrupt enable mask (offset: x2010)

- set (0x00001f1f) to IRQ Block User Vector Number (offset: x2080) to map IRQ usr_irq_req[1] to vector 1 and  usr_irq_req[0] to vector 0.

-set (0x1f00001f) to IRQ Block Channel Vector Number (offset: x20A0) to map channel 0 to vector 0 for c2h channel and h2c channel.

Finally, I asserted usr_irq_req by setting bit 1 to the interrupt control register (register offset: 0x08) at Bar 0 (user irq register space).

Using ILA to probe into the MSI enable register and the usr_irq_req register, I managed to see both MSI enable register and usr_irq_req register asserted (bit 1). The interrupt status register (register offset 0x0c read from Bar 0 user irq register space) reads 0x02.

With that, I tried to perform DMA transfer (from device to host) using interrupt method from the software driver. When I tried to do that, the PC either hang or reboot with an error (928-fatal pcie error; completion timeout).

Is there any step that I'm doing wrong, and how can I prevent the error from taking place?

Thanks

0 Kudos
4 Replies

Re: Problem in performing DMA data transfer using MSI interrupt in XDMA-MM example design

@aliciachee

Whether "Bus Master enable" bit is set to 1'b1 in the PCIe configuration space?

Are you monitoring usr_irq_ack? When you receive a pulse on usr_irq_ack, you need to release usr_irq_req. Please check the timing diagram of MSI interrupts in figure 2-2 of PG195.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't forget to reply, give kudo and accept as solution
0 Kudos
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Problem in performing DMA data transfer using MSI interrupt in XDMA-MM example design

Hi venkata,

Forgot to mention in the earlier post, I have also set the "Bus Master enable" bit  to 1'b1 in the PCIe configuration space.

I am monitoring usr_irq_ack. When I set "usr_irq_req" bit to 1'b1 and feed into the xdma pcie ip core, I did not manage to receive any pulse on usr_irq_ack. Anyone knows how to settle this situation? If not, is there anyone who has a workable XDMA design with MSI interrupt that can pass it to me?

Thanks

0 Kudos

@aliciachee

I believe the step below seems incorrect. 

set (0x00001f1f) to IRQ Block User Vector Number (offset: x2080) to map IRQ usr_irq_req[1] to vector 1 and  usr_irq_req[0] to vector 0.

To map IRQ usr_irq_req[1] to vector 1 and  usr_irq_req[0] to vector 0, bits [12:8] should be 5'h1 and bits [4:0] should be 5'h0. So you should be writing 0x00000020

After you write the above value and usr_irq_req is asserted, please read the following registers.

IRQ Block User Interrupt Request (0x40) -- offset 0x2040

IRQ Block User Interrupt Pending (0x48) -- offset 0x2048

Regarding the step below, I believe you are writing 1'b1 to bit0. Please confirm. If you are using usr_irq_req[1], you should write 1'b1 to bit1 of this register.

- set bit 0 to user interrupt enable mask (offset: x2004)

Don't forget to reply, give kudo and accept as solution
0 Kudos
Contributor
Contributor

Hi @venkata,

I managed to get usr_irq_ack asserted by following your step.

However, when I checked the h2c_status port, it stays at 0x60 status: IRQ event pending bit is high. In addition, when I tried performing DMA transfer using MSI interrupt from the device to Windows 10 host pc, I still continue to face an interrupt timeout error.

Any idea how can I move on from this?

Thanks!

0 Kudos