Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Explorer
Explorer

Simple PCIe developer question

Hi,

Can i change my design - reprogram the FPGA - while the board (ML605 in my case) is connected to the PCIe slot? Will windows automatically detect my new design if, for instance, i change from 2 BARS to only one BAR?

Best,

JM

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Re: Simple PCIe developer question

Hello JM,

simple answer: yes, no. ;o)

You for sure can reprogamm the board, e.g. using iMPACT, however Windows will not recognise that. In the best case you will get you board simply ignored, worst case you get a blue screen.

If you were to reprogramm "anything" apart from the PCIe-interface you could achieve that using Partial Reconfiguration, however if you want to change the PCIe-interface you will need to reboot your Windows-PC.

Cheers,

Martin

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Explorer
Explorer

Mabe the best is to program the PROM, hope not to get a blue screen as the FPGA is automatically programmed, and reboot. I have done this in the past with a PCI (not PCIe) board and if i remember correctly i have not had blue screens.

What's your advice?

Best,

JM

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Observer
Observer

You can program the PCIe board while it's up and running.  After you programmed, go to control panel and update the driver again.  By doing that you can save time on rebooting PC.

0 Kudos