UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Explorer
Explorer

Tandem support for Artix-7?

Jump to solution

Just found that Tandem configuration not supported by Artix-7 family.

Why and do you have plans to add it in a future? We need Tandem PCIe option, without it we can't really use Artix in our design.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Scholar austin
Scholar

Re: Tandem support for Artix-7?

Jump to solution

f,

Not all configuration methods will be fast enough.  Choose the method that is fast enough.  Avoiding the tandem configuration will lead to a simpler solution.  I suggest that when you build your own board, you use a fast CCLK, and a method sure to configure in the time required.

Remember the demo boards are just that:  demonstrating features.  If you wish to use them as a product, you must accept the responsibility for making them work in your intended application.  'Production Ready' boards are here:

http://www.xilinx.com/products/boards-and-kits/pcie-boards.html

I do not see a board that is "PCIe ready" with that part, so that does not make it unsupported, it just means we did not do it and check it out as thoroughly.

As you have said, it does work, but may be too slow on one machine.  That can be addressed (use a faster CCLK and faster configuration mode).  But the board was not advertised 'production ready.'  I am aware that we have done PCIe plug-fests in the past to wring out all the wrinkles in a specific production ready board.  Maybe this is not one (or it would be on the list).

It does have a PCIe 'reference design,' as that is probably what you are using.  Reference designs are just that:  they are what you start with.  Getting them to work in a production run on many different systems is by no means guaranteed.  The systems themselves may have their own PCIe compatibility issues as well.

I apologize if you feel misled by the documentation.  It is not intentional.  We are happy to work with you to solve your problems (after all, that is what we do -- help your solve your need using our devices).

Austin Lesea
Principal Engineer
Xilinx San Jose
0 Kudos
10 Replies
Scholar austin
Scholar

Jump to solution

f,

"Not supported"?  Where did you find that?  Please tell us where that is.

I imagine that we may not have a finished tested design for tandem PCIe configuration on a specific device, as we typically do one example.

As Artix shares the architecture of Kintex and Virtex, doing a design may require some effort to translate it to a different platform (new board support file, new pin numbers, locations etc.).

Contact your Xilinx local field applications engineer through your distributor if you require assistance in porting the design.

Austin Lesea
Principal Engineer
Xilinx San Jose
0 Kudos
Explorer
Explorer

Jump to solution

It's greyed out for Artix parts. And I went to check PG054 and on page 155 they listed all supported configuration/packages.

Am I missing something?

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

@fanat9

It is true that Artix-7 PCIE disables Tandem PCIE/PROM options, please contact your local FAE to help you on this.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please do google search before posting, you may find relavant information.
Mark the post - "Accept as solution" and give kudos if information provided is helpful and reply oriented
0 Kudos
Scholar austin
Scholar

Jump to solution

f,

There is one more possibility (the most likely now I think about it):  your device is small enough that it does not require a tandem configuration (it powers on and is ready in the required time).

Which device (part number)?

Austin Lesea
Principal Engineer
Xilinx San Jose
0 Kudos
Explorer
Explorer

Jump to solution

We got AC701 board for evaluation,  so it's xc7a200.

Looks like reference/example design based on XTP227 failed to meet  100ms on at least 1 PC we tested. If I power board from PC power supply I got no boad listed by lspci, but if powered before PC using external supply I can see it in the list.

0 Kudos
Scholar austin
Scholar

Jump to solution

f,

Not all configuration methods will be fast enough.  Choose the method that is fast enough.  Avoiding the tandem configuration will lead to a simpler solution.  I suggest that when you build your own board, you use a fast CCLK, and a method sure to configure in the time required.

Remember the demo boards are just that:  demonstrating features.  If you wish to use them as a product, you must accept the responsibility for making them work in your intended application.  'Production Ready' boards are here:

http://www.xilinx.com/products/boards-and-kits/pcie-boards.html

I do not see a board that is "PCIe ready" with that part, so that does not make it unsupported, it just means we did not do it and check it out as thoroughly.

As you have said, it does work, but may be too slow on one machine.  That can be addressed (use a faster CCLK and faster configuration mode).  But the board was not advertised 'production ready.'  I am aware that we have done PCIe plug-fests in the past to wring out all the wrinkles in a specific production ready board.  Maybe this is not one (or it would be on the list).

It does have a PCIe 'reference design,' as that is probably what you are using.  Reference designs are just that:  they are what you start with.  Getting them to work in a production run on many different systems is by no means guaranteed.  The systems themselves may have their own PCIe compatibility issues as well.

I apologize if you feel misled by the documentation.  It is not intentional.  We are happy to work with you to solve your problems (after all, that is what we do -- help your solve your need using our devices).

Austin Lesea
Principal Engineer
Xilinx San Jose
0 Kudos
Explorer
Explorer

Jump to solution

@vsrunga

Btw, I agree with your definiton of "reference design", but on another hand we take them as a good practice example and expect it to work in most common situations.

0 Kudos
Scholar austin
Scholar

Jump to solution

f,

I agree (it should just work).

That it did not on one machine may have nothing to do with Xilinx however.  If you say it was due to the design not being ready for enumeration in time, and the machine is within the specifications, we will have to believe you (the customer is always right....).

Austin Lesea
Principal Engineer
Xilinx San Jose
0 Kudos
Explorer
Explorer

Jump to solution

Just checked, it does work on another machine :)

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Hi Austin,

Tandem configuration (at least via PROM) would be an extremely desirable feature to have for the Artix family, too, when booting off SPI devices. But I noticed it is still grayed out in the latest version of Vivado.

Any plans to enable it?

Any user-accessible means of enabling it even at a purely experimental level?

It would enable me to solve my problems so easily!

Thank you very much, and best regards,

Ludovico Minati

0 Kudos