cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Adventurer
Adventurer

WDM Drivers for Spartan 6 PCIe

I'm working on a PCIe interface in a Spartan 6 part using Coregen to generate the necessary IP. I now need a WDM kernal-mode driver for XP/7/8 which comes with source-code and documentation so that it can be tweaked to suit our needs. Does anyone know of a source of such a thing (other than Jungo which costs too much for a one-off situation like we have here). Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Highlighted
Explorer
Explorer

Re: WDM Drivers for Spartan 6 PCIe

Jungo offers a 30 day full-featured FREE trial of their product.  If you can get your Firmware & drivers done in that period of time, that may be a good solution.

After the 30 days, the driver libraries will no longer compile or execute, so your software will not be able to communicate with your drivers/hardware.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Adventurer
Adventurer

Hi, thanks for reply. I was assuming that after 30 days, any driver I had built would also stop working but since that's not the case, trhis is a solution, great.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Explorer
Explorer

I think you may have misunderstood.

The Jungo Device Driver Development Tool Kit is essentially a large collection of low-level libraries that communicates with the actual hardware.  A user would write higher level C code (or similar) to interface and call these libraries.
It makes S/W development for PCI Express cards incredibly easy.

However, these libraries DO check for a valid licenses.  So if you have a fully functional S/W solution using the Jungo libraries, and a trial licenses, after 30 days the libraries will not execute, and your S/W will return a license error.

I am merely sharing my recent experience with the Jungo S/W.  If one was able to write their own low-level drivers, then of course you wouldn't need Jungo in the first place.  But you're in for an incredibly long haul if that's the path you choose.  We were able to polish and deliver a great PCIe S/W solution in about two months using these drivers.  Writing them from scratch would have taken close to a year.

The license was about $5,000. If you can afford it, it is an incredible time saver, and well worth the cost.

I am not aware of similar driver libraries for free.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Adventurer
Adventurer

Your point is well made and I suspect that in the end we will just have to buy a Jungo license. It is useful to hear that if you do spend the money, at least you get something that works well. Certainly, the last thing I want to do is to try writing my own low level drivers.

0 Kudos