UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Visitor pauloberlin
Visitor

XDMA on Windows 10

I'm having some issues getting going building XDMA apps on Windows 10 with Studio 2015. 

I suppose it makes sense that to build the driver I would need the WDK installed.  I was more surprised to see that to build simple_dma I would need it as well.  In general I would expect that an application that wished to interface with hardware would link in a library (libxdma?) and a header file (xdma_public.h?)  and would NOT need WDK or even SDK to be present.  Looking at simple_dma it doesn't appear that it depends on libxdma, nor do any of the projects. 

Questions:

-Why do I need WDK to build these examples/test/utils (other than the driver, for which I think it would make sense)

-Why do none of the examples seem to use libxdma?  If I don't need the lib, what is it for and how is it used?

Here is the error you get if you try to build any of the examples without WDK installed:  I'm running VS2015 on Windows 10.

1>C:\Program Files (x86)\MSBuild\Microsoft.Cpp\v4.0\V140\Microsoft.Cpp.Platform.targets(57,5): error MSB8020: The build tools for WindowsApplicationForDrivers10.0 (Platform Toolset = 'WindowsApplicationForDrivers10.0') cannot be found. To build using the WindowsApplicationForDrivers10.0 build tools, please install WindowsApplicationForDrivers10.0 build tools.  Alternatively, you may upgrade to the current Visual Studio tools by selecting the Project menu or right-click the solution, and then selecting "Retarget solution".

FWIW re-targeting the solution also failed.

Upgrading project 'xdma_test'...
    Configuration 'Debug|Win32': cannot upgrade as this platform is not supported by this Visual Studio version.
    Configuration 'Debug|x64': cannot upgrade as this platform is not supported by this Visual Studio version.
    TargetFrameworkVersion = v4.5 (was v4.5)

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

回复: XDMA on Windows 10

Are you trying the file from https://www.xilinx.com/member/xdma_windows_driver.html ?

the files are  executable and you can just run the EXE file without compilng them your self 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't forget to reply, give kudo and accept as solution
0 Kudos
Visitor pauloberlin
Visitor

This wasn't my question.  I can run the pre-built stuff.  My issue is that the provided solution requires you to have WDK installed, even to build the sample programs.

I have since verified that if I create a brand new project, and copy/paste the source code, I can build and run the examples without the need for WDK.  Obviously I would expect you would need the WDK to build the driver, but not the examples.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

libxdma is the static kernel library for XDMA which is needed to develop a program

Don't forget to reply, give kudo and accept as solution
0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hi Pauloberlin,

Following up on Liy's reply, please find answer to your questions below:

-Why do I need WDK to build these examples/test/utils (other than the driver, for which I think it would make sense)

We are just following the conventions as illustrated in Microsoft's Windows driver samples (e.g. https://github.com/Microsoft/Windows-driver-samples/tree/master/general/ioctl/kmdf). Perhaps the question should be for Microsoft.

-Why do none of the examples seem to use libxdma?  If I don't need the lib, what is it for and how is it used?

Libxdma is a kernel-space library. It exists to aid driver developers who want to integrate XDMA into their solution using their custom driver. It is not needed to compile user-space applications.

Let us know if you have any further queries.

Thanks.