cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
goldshakil
Observer
Observer

Zynq7000 and Host PC interface, Possible?

Jump to solution

Hello,

I am trying to do a simple task as follows:

1) Send some data from the host pc to FPGA (Zynq-7000)

2) sort that data on the FPGA

3) return the sorted data to the host pc

* The board am using is a custom board that is based on Xilinx XC7Z045-3FFG900 Zynq-7000.
http://www.mangoboard.com/main/view.asp?idx=780&pageNo=11&cate1=9&cate2=25&cate3=

* My Idea is:

1) write my sorting algorithm in HLS.

2) use Xillybus IP core and integrate my synthesized algorithm to it using Vivado. (Xillybus uses PCIe Connection).

I have a couple of problems here:

1) How can I establish a connection between host PC and FPGA other than UART (since it is slow). Is PCIe connection good enough?

2) Xillybus interface doesn't support the board am using. Is there any other way to get my task done? http://xillybus.com/ 

3) How can I call the sorting function and exchange data with the host PC? (In case am not using Xillybus)

4) Shall I write my code in HLS and integrate it to VIVADO or write it in SDK?

Please let me know the easiest way to do it since I am a totally beginner in this field.

Regards.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
billauer
Adventurer
Adventurer

Hello,

The ZC706 is listed as one of the supported board on Xillybus' site:

http://xillybus.com/pcie-download

Since both ZC706 and the board you've mentioned are based upon XC7Z045 FFG900, it looks like the starter bundle for ZC706 can be modified quite easily to work on your board (possibly just change the speed grade of the target device, if the PCIe interface is laid out the same -- often it is between similar boards).

As for the suitability of Xillybus for your purpose -- if the listed bandwidth is fine with you, odds are that it will do the job.

Regards,

Eli

View solution in original post

6 Replies
billauer
Adventurer
Adventurer

Hello,

The ZC706 is listed as one of the supported board on Xillybus' site:

http://xillybus.com/pcie-download

Since both ZC706 and the board you've mentioned are based upon XC7Z045 FFG900, it looks like the starter bundle for ZC706 can be modified quite easily to work on your board (possibly just change the speed grade of the target device, if the PCIe interface is laid out the same -- often it is between similar boards).

As for the suitability of Xillybus for your purpose -- if the listed bandwidth is fine with you, odds are that it will do the job.

Regards,

Eli

View solution in original post

watari
Teacher
Teacher

Hi @goldshakil 

>1) How can I establish a connection between host PC and FPGA other than UART (since it is slow). Is PCIe connection good enough?

It depends on amount of data and requirment bitrate (bandwidth).

It's hard to reply this question without them.

Would you explain it ?

Best regards,

goldshakil
Observer
Observer

@watari 
I don't really mind any bandwidth. I just need to establish the connection over PCIe regardless of efficiency and carry out the task I mentioned as simple as possible ( let's say am send an array of 10000 integers(4 bytes) from host pc to the FPGA to be sorted, Do you recommend PCIe over UART?)

Thank you so much

@billauer 
Thank you for your reply , I actually sent an email to Xillybus company since they don't have the starter bundle for the board you mentioned. It says " Available on demand" so am not sure what should I do in this situation since they don't reply to emails.

I will be really appreciative to both of you if you can guide me through and help me solve my problem. ( I have been stuck on this issue for over a month now)
Thank you so much once again.

0 Kudos
billauer
Adventurer
Adventurer

Hello,

I'll tell you a small secret: I'm the owner of Xillybus, and I got your email yesterday. And I answered it right away. Maybe cought in the junk folder? Getting emails delievered properly is turning into a struggle nowadays.

Regards,

Eli

watari
Teacher
Teacher

Hi @goldshakil 

Can you wait few minutes ? (about 2 or 3 minuts)

If yes, I suggest you to choose UART. It's an easy way to communicate between Host and Zynq7000.

If no, I suggest you to conisder PCIe or ethernet.

Best regards,

goldshakil
Observer
Observer

@billauer 
I am extremely sorry I just checked my spam folder and found it there. I have no idea why it was under the spam section.
Thank you so much, I will follow your instructions there and if i have any issue I will contact you.

@watari 
I will try PCIe first and if it doesn't work I will for sure go with your advice.

Once again sorry for the trouble caused and thank you both.

0 Kudos