cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Adventurer
Adventurer

accessing MSR Intel CPU registers from FPGA

My FPGA is a slave on the PCIe bus interfacing Intel CPU (I have a working project based on XDMA IP). Is there any chance that I can read/write Intel MSR CPU registers from my FPGA?

I have a bar to transfer rd/wr commands from/to CPU/FPGA (via PCIe), but what about the MSR's?

This is something I'm unfamiliar with, and it can help me achieve better performance.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Highlighted

hi @roymesi2 ,

I believe and assume you want to send the data to the memory with out the DMA operation interfering using the MSR , where MSR , Model Specific Register: Registers used to modify the default behavior of  the processor Intel architecture provides a set of MSRs to change default system behavior such as cache attributes, performance counters, etc. Reading and writing to any MSR is done using RDMSR and WRMSR instructions.

let me know your inputs

Regards
Chandra sekhar
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if solution provided is helpful.

Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Adventurer
Adventurer

Thanks.

No DMA is needed. I'm asking from the address space point of view. How do I reach this address space using the PCI Express? This is the issue.

Btw, I also have SMBUS communication towards the CPU, so this is also a valid option, but I don't know if I can read/write the MSR using the SMBUS communication interface.

0 Kudos