Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

problem with simulation of XAPP859 using modelsim

Jump to solution

Hi,

I encounter problem when simulating XAPP859 using modelsim SE 6.2b. I was able to start the simulation but it appears that the PCIe endpoint is not working. I compile the Xilinx simulation library using compxlib. I have attached the warning and error message below. Thanks.

Regards,

Jackson

# ** Warning: (vsim-PLI-3003) C:/Xilinx/10.1/ISE/verilog/mti_se/unisims_ver/unisims_ver_SmartWrapper_source.v(70147): [TOFD] - System task or function '$lm_model' is not defined.
#         Region: /tb/pcie_dma_top_i/ep/\BU2/U0/pcie_ep0/pcie_blk/pcie_ep\/pcie_internal_1_1_swift_1/I1
# ** Warning: (vsim-PLI-3003) C:/Xilinx/10.1/ISE/verilog/mti_se/unisims_ver/unisims_ver_SmartWrapper_source.v(22685): [TOFD] - System task or function '$lm_model' is not defined.
#         Region: /tb/pcie_dma_top_i/ep/\BU2/U0/pcie_ep0/pcie_blk/SIO/.pcie_gt_wrapper_i/GTD[6].GT_i\/genblk1/gtp_dual_fast_1/I1
# ** Warning: (vsim-PLI-3003) C:/Xilinx/10.1/ISE/verilog/mti_se/unisims_ver/unisims_ver_SmartWrapper_source.v(22685): [TOFD] - System task or function '$lm_model' is not defined.
#         Region: /tb/pcie_dma_top_i/ep/\BU2/U0/pcie_ep0/pcie_blk/SIO/.pcie_gt_wrapper_i/GTD[4].GT_i\/genblk1/gtp_dual_fast_1/I1
#         Region: /tb/pcie_dma_top_i/ep/\BU2/U0/pcie_ep0/pcie_blk/SIO/.pcie_gt_wrapper_i/GTD[2].GT_i\/genblk1/gtp_dual_fast_1/I1
#         Region: /tb/pcie_dma_top_i/ep/\BU2/U0/pcie_ep0/pcie_blk/SIO/.pcie_gt_wrapper_i/GTD[0].GT_i\/genblk1/gtp_dual_fast_1/I1
# ** Warning: (vsim-PLI-3003) C:/Xilinx/10.1/ISE/verilog/mti_se/unisims_ver/unisims_ver_SmartWrapper_source.v(70147): [TOFD] - System task or function '$lm_model' is not defined.
#         Region: /tb/pcie_ne_inst/pcie_ne/pcie_internal_1_1_1/pcie_internal_1_1_swift_1/I1
#         Region: /tb/pcie_ne_inst/pcie_gt_wrapper_i/GTD[0]/GT_i/genblk1/gtp_dual_fast_1/I1
#         Region: /tb/pcie_ne_inst/pcie_gt_wrapper_i/GTD[2]/GT_i/genblk1/gtp_dual_fast_1/I1
#         Region: /tb/pcie_ne_inst/pcie_gt_wrapper_i/GTD[4]/GT_i/genblk1/gtp_dual_fast_1/I1
#         Region: /tb/pcie_ne_inst/pcie_gt_wrapper_i/GTD[6]/GT_i/genblk1/gtp_dual_fast_1/I1
# .main_pane.workspace.interior.cs.nb.canvas.notebook.cs.page2.cs
# .main_pane.signals.interior.cs
# ===== Number of BRAMS for RETRYRAM =           1  =====
# ===== Number of BRAMS for TL_TXRAM =           1  =====
# ===== Number of BRAMS for TL_RXRAM =           1  =====
#                    0   Start pcie_tb_endpoint, version 1.0
#                    0   Simulating 8 lanes with TC0 traffic
#                    0   Simulating 128 Maximum Payload
#                    0 initialize done
#               400004  **Error: link never becomes active
# ** Note: $finish    : tb.v(912)
#    Time: 400004 ns  Iteration: 0  Instance: /tb 

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Observer
Observer

you may follow the four steps:

1. find the "sim.pdf" in the install path of your ise. in the chapter 5 ,it tells you how to install
smartmodel. i suggest you to use the second method of installing.
  2. modify your "modelsim.ini" , you can refer to "appendix A:Running SmartModel Simulations in Modelsim" in the "sim.pdf"
  3. run compxlib.
  4. do "vsim unisim.ppc405" in your modelsim . if there is no error,it indicates the smartmodel is installed correctly.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Highlighted
Observer
Observer

It seems that the sentense "System task or function '$lm_model' is not defined" indicate that your smartmodel is not installed correctly.

first you should install the smartmodel correctly ,and then compile the xilinx liabrary to modelsim .you can do "vsim unisim.ppc405" in your modelsim ,if there is no error ,then you can simulate the ip core.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor
Thanks. How can I install smartmodel? I assumed that compxlib will install smartmodel automatically. Apperantly this is not the case.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Observer
Observer

you may follow the four steps:

1. find the "sim.pdf" in the install path of your ise. in the chapter 5 ,it tells you how to install
smartmodel. i suggest you to use the second method of installing.
  2. modify your "modelsim.ini" , you can refer to "appendix A:Running SmartModel Simulations in Modelsim" in the "sim.pdf"
  3. run compxlib.
  4. do "vsim unisim.ppc405" in your modelsim . if there is no error,it indicates the smartmodel is installed correctly.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor
perhaps the modelsim version is not compatible with your ise version.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Scholar
Scholar
I was able to make Virtex 2 Pro PCIe smartmodel work a few years before with Modelsim SE 6.1f but I remember it was not possible with version SE 6.0. So I think Modelsim SE 6.2 and above are at least ok (but don't know about PE or XE editions).
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Scholar
Scholar

With recent versions of ISE under Windows, you can install Smartmodel easily through a graphic interface just by chekcing it (refer to the Xilinx folder in Windows Start Menu).

However you may need to activate Smartmodel in your modelsim.ini, or at least in your Modelsim project file (.mpf) if this one was created before modelsim.ini was modified to enable Smartmodel. I think modelsim.ini modif is done automatically by the install but not for all your Modelsim project files (of course). So either you create the project again, or you enable Smarmodel by removing manually the comments (';' in Modelsim ini and project) for Smartmodel libraries, which should be .dll for Windows (refer to Xilinx docs about that but be careful not to mix up with Linux or Solaris libs).

0 Kudos