cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Observer
Observer

how to modify picoblaze file

Jump to solution

Hello, I looked in the user guide and the manual and couldn't find the answer.

I want to modiy the fg_ctrl.psm file for the "frequency generator " spartan 3e starter board. I want to start at 20 MHz, not 100 Mhz. I changed the constants in the file but it didn't change the project.

Is there something else i need to do?I tried running kcpsm3.exe program, but I see a flash of something on my  computer screen and that's all. I'm using windows vista.

Thanks for any help.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

The change to the VHDL that you have seen is covered in this FAQ....

http://forums.xilinx.com/t5/PicoBlaze/Starter-Kit-FAQ-ISE-only-works-with-VHD-provided-missing-signals/m-p/638

Ken Chapman
Principal Engineer, Xilinx UK

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Teacher
Teacher

Hi,

of course you have to run the assembler, but kcpsm3.exe is a command line tool.

Start cmd.exe first.

Then change to the project directory (using cd command)

I assume that kcpsm3.exe, the rom_form files ant *.psm sources are all placed there, and not in subfolders. (Check it!)

There you can start the assembler by entering this:

kcpsm3   fg_ctrl.psm

(it's not necessary to enter the .exe extension)

Then you will be able to see the outputs of the assembler.

If you want to read these more conveniently you can do this instead:

kcpsm3   fg_ctrl.psm > asm_messeges.txt

Now you can read the messages in your favored text editor. Just open the file asm_messeges.txt

Have a nice synthesis

Eilert

0 Kudos
Observer
Observer

eilert,

I managed to transfer the project from 's3esk_frequency generator" to a spartan 3a eval board. It works great except it always starts at 100 MHz. I wanted to have it start a more reasonable frequency of 20 MHz. so I changed the code in fg_ctrl.psm and thought that would do it, since that's all I changed.

Anyway, I added all of the files kcpsm3 wanted : rom_form,coe, rom_form,v and rom_form.vhd. It was successful.

I then tried to re-generate the programming file and got error:

Port <proc_reset> of instance <program_rom> does not exist in definition <fg_ctrl>. Please compare the definition of block <fg_ctrl> to its component declaration to detect the mismatch.

Now I'm really confused.

0 Kudos
Observer
Observer

well, I found out for some reason the fg_ctrl.vhd file was modified by kcpsm3. I re-inserted the missing line concerning the proces_reset and I was able to generate program file and program the fgpa. Unfortunately I found I had changed the wrong constants and i have to go back and figure out what to change.

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

The change to the VHDL that you have seen is covered in this FAQ....

http://forums.xilinx.com/t5/PicoBlaze/Starter-Kit-FAQ-ISE-only-works-with-VHD-provided-missing-signals/m-p/638

Ken Chapman
Principal Engineer, Xilinx UK

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
Observer
Observer

Success! I followed your instructions and it works great. Was able to change code to have 20 MHz as initial conditions.

thanks for the help.

0 Kudos