Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

picoblaze instruction storage

Jump to solution

hi ,

i get one question a few days, that i want to use distributed rom instead of BRAM in picoblaze instruction storage, is there any one knows how to generate this template , thank you so much,

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
chapman
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

The .COE file produced by the assembler is there to be used with the Xilinx Core Generator which can in turn be used to produce distributed ROM. Please read page 45 of KCPSM3_Manual.pdf supplied in the PicoBlaze ZIP file to understand 'ROM_form.coe'. I recommend that you simply set the first line to be 'memory_initialization_vector=' and then make all other settings for the ROM in the Core Generator GUI.

Note that a 256 instruction ROM will occupy 144 slices in a Spartan-3 Generation device. That's larger than KCPSM3 (96 slices) so generally you would only do this for small programs, special reasons or where you have lots of spare slices but lack BRAM.

Regards,

Ken

Ken Chapman
Principal Engineer, Xilinx UK

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
chapman
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

The .COE file produced by the assembler is there to be used with the Xilinx Core Generator which can in turn be used to produce distributed ROM. Please read page 45 of KCPSM3_Manual.pdf supplied in the PicoBlaze ZIP file to understand 'ROM_form.coe'. I recommend that you simply set the first line to be 'memory_initialization_vector=' and then make all other settings for the ROM in the Core Generator GUI.

Note that a 256 instruction ROM will occupy 144 slices in a Spartan-3 Generation device. That's larger than KCPSM3 (96 slices) so generally you would only do this for small programs, special reasons or where you have lots of spare slices but lack BRAM.

Regards,

Ken

Ken Chapman
Principal Engineer, Xilinx UK

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable

hi ken,

so kindly you are , i tested my program just now and it worked, thank you so much,

Regards,

jackyye

0 Kudos
shangdawei@gmail.com
Participant
Participant

i t use distributed rom instead of BRAM in picoblaze instruction storage 1K Inst. at Spartan 3S400A 

+----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+
| Module                | Slices | Slice Reg | LUTs   | LUTRAM  | BRAM  | MULT18X18 | BUFG  | DCM   | Full Hierarchical Name       |
+----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+
| +program_rom          | 0/875  | 0/18      | 0/1249 | 0/0     | 0/0   | 0/0       | 0/0   | 0/0   | picoblaze/program_rom        |
| ++BU2                 | 0/875  | 0/18      | 0/1249 | 0/0     | 0/0   | 0/0       | 0/0   | 0/0   | picoblaze/program_rom/BU2    |
| +++U0                 | 0/875  | 0/18      | 0/1249 | 0/0     | 0/0   | 0/0       | 0/0   | 0/0   | picoblaze/program_rom/BU2/U0

| ++++gen_rom.rom_inst  | 875/875| 18/18     | 1249/1249                                            | picoblaze/program_rom/BU2/U0/gen_rom.rom_inst     

Message Edited by shangdawei@gmail.com on 12-04-2009 04:21 AM
0 Kudos