Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Voyager
Voyager

AXI-DMA test that doesn't work.

Jump to solution

Greetings to everyone,

I am trying to gain experience with the AXI-DMA and for this purpose I am replicating step-by-step this tutorial (which is quite similirar to Xilinx 57562 example design):

from here:

http://www.fpgadeveloper.com/2017/10/using-axi-dma-in-vivado-reloaded.html

The only differences between my setup and the video tutorial is that I am using a Microzed 7020 board and Vivado 2018.1 Linux version, while the author is using a Microzed 7010 board and Vivado 2017.2 on Windows.

My setup also goes fine, I can generate the bitstream according to the steps shown in the video, I can launch the SDK, compile the software and run it, but the problem I experience is that I don 't see anything from the Zynq UART. It's like the program isn't running.

One strange thing I notice during application building in SDK, is that a warning is shown for the file xsdps.c at line 1272:

case CMD23:
		case ACMD23:
		case CMD24:
		case CMD25:
1272:-->		RetVal |= RESP_R1 | (u32)XSDPS_DAT_PRESENT_SEL_MASK;
		case ACMD41:
			RetVal |= RESP_R3;
		break;

It seems that a break is missing. However, inserting a break doesn't change anything.

I experience the same problem executing an Hello World application: nothing is printed out from the Zynq serial console.

I also tried to execute a memtest application, and yes, I can see its output results (that maybe is indicating that something is wrong, notice the FAILED result):

--Starting Memory Test Application--
NOTE: This application runs with D-Cache disabled.As a result, cacheline requests will not be generated
Testing memory region: ps7_ddr_0
    Memory Controller: ps7_ddr_0
         Base Address: 0x100000
                 Size: 0x3FF00000 bytes
          32-bit test: FAILED!
          16-bit test: FAILED!
           8-bit test: FAILED!
Testing memory region: ps7_ram_1
    Memory Controller: ps7_ram_1
         Base Address: 0xFFFF0000
                 Size: 0xFE00 bytes
          32-bit test: PASSED!
          16-bit test: PASSED!
           8-bit test: PASSED!
--Memory Test Application Complete--

I had the same problem testing the Xilinx 57562 example and also the previous tutorial of the video's author, which is here:

http://www.fpgadeveloper.com/2014/08/using-the-axi-dma-in-vivado.html

Could someone help me to understand what is going wrong and to find out the problem ?

Thank you in advance for your help.

Regards,

simozz

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

Re: AXI-DMA test that doesn't work.

Jump to solution

Hello,

Just two ideas:

- from a "memtest" application, remove the source files, and add the source file of the "hello world" application. If it works, it will mean that it is a wrong configuration of the application project and not an issue with the code.

- if you launch the application from the debugger, does the execution get stuck somewhere?

Best regards

View solution in original post

2 Replies
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

Jump to solution

Hello,

Just two ideas:

- from a "memtest" application, remove the source files, and add the source file of the "hello world" application. If it works, it will mean that it is a wrong configuration of the application project and not an issue with the code.

- if you launch the application from the debugger, does the execution get stuck somewhere?

Best regards

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Voyager
Voyager

Jump to solution

Greetings @matt.zimm91,

I can confirm that changing that running the Hello World source code into the Memory Tests application's folder, I can see that the Hello World is printed out.

However, that one is a great suggestion. If I replace the memtest source code with the axidma examples, for example this is the output of the execution of xaxidma_example_sg_intr.c (of course with Scatter Gather Engine enabled).

--- Entering main() --- 
Dump registers 40400030:
Control REG: 640B7002
Status REG: 000B0409
Cur BD REG: 7A000040
Tail BD REG: 0100FFC0

It does something so I can go on with my custom tests.

However I experienced the same issue with version 2017.2.This is quiet strange. I did not remember to have this kind of issue last year with other bare metal test.

I see that version 2018.3 is out and I will try it soon.

Regards,

simozz

0 Kudos