Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
riacho
Observer
Observer

AXI S2MM does not work

Jump to solution

Hello,

What I am trying to do is get a image of sensor (OV7670) and send by DMA to DDR... the steps I followed were these:

Create project -> Language VHDL -> Create Block -> Add Zynq7 System -> Some settings in Customize Block Zynq and OK...

Add AXI Direct Memory Access -> in the Customize of IP DMA I only left checked: Enable Write Channel -> OK.

In Vivado -> Tools-> Create and Package New IP -> Create a new AXI4 -> Configurations: Stream - Master - 32 bits -> Edit IP -> Finish.

I understand that the code generated by Vivado 2018.2 do the stream a sequence of numbers from 1 to 8, like: 0x01, 0x02, 0x03 ... 0x08, in the read_pointer of eighth number tvalid comes down and tlast is generated.  The original code doesn’t work, so I realized this line:

-- Example design FIFO read pointer
signal read_pointer: integer range 0 to bit_num-1;

The bit_num its a return of function log2 of numbers outputs, in this case = log2(8) = 3, we have: 

signal read_pointer : integer range 0 to 3 -1;

Why? after that I changed to:

signal read_pointer : integer range 0 to 8;

And all run OK. Is this an error in the generated code by Vivado?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
vortex1601
Explorer
Explorer

I had a lot of trouble using this block in a fall-through mode. It is very picky about the packet count.

I finally abandoned it and I wrote my own AXIMM to AXI-S bridge. This not only did the function that I wanted, but I could customize it with other blocks to fit my needs exactly: FIFOs, clock boundary crossing, width conversion, etc.

Using this bridge approach greatly simplified my AXI-S interaction with DMA. I can do scatter-gather DMA, use flow control, etc... not possible if the driver had to intervene every time and set up the packet count in a register like you have to with the AXIMM to AXIS IP block.

A clarification: I am referring to PG080, the "AXI4 Stream FIFO" IP block.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
riacho
Observer
Observer

Yes, actually the error exists in generating the code by Vivado.

https://forums.xilinx.com/t5/Embedded-Processor-System-Design/Master-Stream-custom-IP-Problem/td-p/654022

0 Kudos
vortex1601
Explorer
Explorer

I had a lot of trouble using this block in a fall-through mode. It is very picky about the packet count.

I finally abandoned it and I wrote my own AXIMM to AXI-S bridge. This not only did the function that I wanted, but I could customize it with other blocks to fit my needs exactly: FIFOs, clock boundary crossing, width conversion, etc.

Using this bridge approach greatly simplified my AXI-S interaction with DMA. I can do scatter-gather DMA, use flow control, etc... not possible if the driver had to intervene every time and set up the packet count in a register like you have to with the AXIMM to AXIS IP block.

A clarification: I am referring to PG080, the "AXI4 Stream FIFO" IP block.

View solution in original post

mckinjo4
Explorer
Explorer

It sounds like you are having problems with the the example code that vivado generates for AXI-Stream master/slave. That code is garbage. I ran across the below page:

http://que.no/index.php/2016/03/30/creating-axi4-stream-ip-xilinx-vivado/

And I found that the example it provides to work very well. I acutally use it as the basis for AXIS interfaces between several custom IP's, a Xilinx xfft9.0, and on both ends to interface to the AXI-DMA core in my design.