Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Participant
Participant

AXI WLAST strange behaviour in Central DMA transfer

Jump to solution

Hi,

I am working with Central DMA from Xilinx and, during the transfer of 17 words of 32-bit, I noticed, during the simulation, that there are two bursts: one with 16 beats with size 32 bit, and another with 1 beat with size 32 bit.

Looking at the signals behaviours, I noticed that WLAST goes high in correspondance of the 16-th beat of the first burst (that is correct), and that it stucks at WLAST = 1 even if the burst ends and starts the second burst.

Please have a look at the simulation results, attached to this post. The WLAST signal is highlighted in purple. I wounder whether this should be the correct behaviour of the master CDMA.

Thank you for any support,

GiacomoScreenshot from 2019-08-29 14-17-57.png

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Scholar
Scholar

The behavior is correct. The WLAST signals asserts during the last beat of an AXI transaction. As you've already noted, your overall data movement is broken down into 2 separate AXI transactions: a 16-beat, burst transaction and a single-beat, non-burst transaction. WLAST is asserted to signify the last beat/transfer of each of those transactions.

Note that WLAST is not valid unless an AXI "transfer" is occurring--which, by definition, is "only when both the VALID and READY signals are HIGH". The WLAST signal value is a don't-care when a transfer is not taking place. In this instance, the DMA IP knows that it has de-asserted WVALID at the end of the 16-beat burst, so it's free to do whatever it wants with WLAST--like leaving it high. When the next transfer starts (for the single-beat transaction), WLAST becomes/is-already valid.

Not unnecessarily de-asserting WLAST between the two transactions is the most efficient way to handle this situation.

-Joe G.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
Highlighted
Scholar
Scholar

The behavior is correct. The WLAST signals asserts during the last beat of an AXI transaction. As you've already noted, your overall data movement is broken down into 2 separate AXI transactions: a 16-beat, burst transaction and a single-beat, non-burst transaction. WLAST is asserted to signify the last beat/transfer of each of those transactions.

Note that WLAST is not valid unless an AXI "transfer" is occurring--which, by definition, is "only when both the VALID and READY signals are HIGH". The WLAST signal value is a don't-care when a transfer is not taking place. In this instance, the DMA IP knows that it has de-asserted WVALID at the end of the 16-beat burst, so it's free to do whatever it wants with WLAST--like leaving it high. When the next transfer starts (for the single-beat transaction), WLAST becomes/is-already valid.

Not unnecessarily de-asserting WLAST between the two transactions is the most efficient way to handle this situation.

-Joe G.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Participant
Participant

Thank you, now it is clear for me.

Giacomo V.

0 Kudos