cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Adventurer
Adventurer

Add custom instructions into ARM (ZedBoard)

Hi,

I am using ZedBoard now. I wonder that is it possible to add some custom instructions into ARM resided in ZedBoard?

If can, could you share with me some information?

Thanks. :-)

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Highlighted
Scholar
Scholar

Re: Add custom instructions into ARM (ZedBoard)

henry,

You cannot add instructions to the hard ARM processors, nor the floating point units.  But you could construct an accelerator design with logic in the FPGA, and connect to it either by the ACP, or the AXI bus.

The zedboard.org forums are probably a better place to get a response, as these forums are not as often read by the zedboard users (they have their own forums).

Austin Lesea
Principal Engineer
Xilinx San Jose
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Adventurer
Adventurer

Hi, Austin,

So, that means zedboard can not support for running custom instructions. Does this board support some features like microblaze's FSL? If we attach our design to the ACP or AXI bus, the frequency seems to be quite low.

Thanks. :-)

Henry

0 Kudos
Scholar
Scholar

henry,

Of course you can instantiate a MicroBlaze, and make whatever you wish in the programmable logic side of the device. Of a PicoBlaze, PacoBlaze, or a LEON....or whatever you dream up (and get to work).

The Zedboard may be used in classes from simple logic, through computer architectures, through operating systems.  It is all a question of what you put in the ARM Cortex A9 (tm) side, and what you put in the programmable logic (FPGA) side, how you connect them up, and what programs you also write (if any).

The goal was for one board for all junior and senior level computer science classes.

Austin Lesea
Principal Engineer
Xilinx San Jose
0 Kudos