cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
adityasatpute
Visitor
Visitor

Area consumption of Microblaze for Area estimation for device selection !!

Jump to solution

Hello ,

I am trying to make a proposal to my manager for device selection & need the area consumption of Microblaze processor. I am unable to locate it on Xilinx right away. I'm a newbie & it's lil time consuming @ data hunting on Xilinx website, if anyone is aware pls revert... you cn also post the link & i'll do the rest.

Aditya

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
goran
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hi,

I think the upper limit is around 2800 LUTs or so for Spartan6.

But then you have maximize everything on MicroBlaze including caches, MMU, branch target, FPU, .......

A typical system is much less than that, I guess around 1400 LUTs depending if you are using area version or performance version.

Göran

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
austin
Scholar
Scholar

a,

What device family?  What version of the tools?  What version of MicroBlaze?

In general, I believe MicroBlaze starts at ~ 300 CLB's and two BRAMs, and goes up from there with options.

Austin Lesea
Principal Engineer
Xilinx San Jose
0 Kudos
adityasatpute
Visitor
Visitor

Device : XC6SLX9-2TQG144.......Spartan6 9 LX  in 144 package

Microblaze v8.30   Xilinx ISE : 14.5

Is there some document which i can refer .. i was unable to locate one on the website, except for this .. 

http://www.xilinx.com/ipcenter/catalog/logicore/docs/microblaze_risc_32bit_proc_final.pdf

0 Kudos
goran
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hi,

MicroBlaze has around 70 configuration parameters and most of them impact area and timing.

So it's your configuration that determines the area and timing.

Don't forgot the area of peripherals and busses, they tend to be larger than MicroBlaze itself.

Göran

0 Kudos
adityasatpute
Visitor
Visitor

Hey thanks for the update. Is there no upper number (without peripherials) ? In the later stages of my project we plan to implement LWIP for receiving data via 10/100 ethernet device...  I'm just concerned how much area i can reserve for my custom logic .. after i account for the Microblaze controller + 10/ 100 MAC & LWIP implementation . LWIP i understand wont consume FPGA area .. & will be firmware for Microblaze.... pls correct me if i am wrong.   I would like to preserve some area for custom logic for future bug fixes / additional logic. I also plan to use Multiboot feature .. after the initial release of firmware. 

Rgds, 

Aditya

0 Kudos
goran
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hi,

I think the upper limit is around 2800 LUTs or so for Spartan6.

But then you have maximize everything on MicroBlaze including caches, MMU, branch target, FPU, .......

A typical system is much less than that, I guess around 1400 LUTs depending if you are using area version or performance version.

Göran

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
adityasatpute
Visitor
Visitor

STAGE 1       |       STAGE 2                        |              STAGE 3 

|                                                |

Custom        |        Custom                          |              Custom

Logic            |         Logic                             |               Logic

|            +                                  |                   +

|     Microblaze &                    |              Microblaze &

|    Ethernet MAC with           |              Ethernet MAC with  

|    LwIP implementation     |              LwIP implementation

|                                                |                      +

|                                                |              Multiboot & Remote upgrade

0 Kudos
goran
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hi,

Ethernet is area consuming, how much depending on what bandwidth you will need.

LWIP requires external memory unless you are going to consume a lot of internal BRAMs.

Ethernet MAC IP core is larger than MicroBlaze, how much depends on the configurations.

Göran

0 Kudos
adityasatpute
Visitor
Visitor

I am presuming Ethernet IP is approximately as much as Microblaze itself. Not looking for any high speed application. Just  communication purposes. Need to receive some 150 packets upon an event. I guess i will only know when i actually start working on it. I hope this assumption is good to go.

0 Kudos