Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Observer
Observer

CAN interface on ZCU111

Jump to solution

Hi,

I am using RFSoC board ZCU111, and I want to use CAN interface.

Is there any CAN interface on this development board? 

Thanks.

Tags (4)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Hi,

You need to find out the correct pins which are going to the FMC card to communicate with CAN PHY after getting the pin names you can write pin constraints in the .xdc files to map the pins to FMC card.

Regards,

Venu

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
12 Replies
Highlighted
Observer
Observer

In vivado, I enable the CAN0, and get the emio_can0_phy_rx and emio_can0_phy_tx, I assign the pin connected to PMOD.

Finally I  want to use this board to communication with another board which also have a CAN interface. But for ZCU111 board, I can not find a hardware CAN interface. So I try to find a solution. Anyone who know it will be very helpful to me. Thanks.

Best regards,

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hi,

ZCU111 don`t have any CAN trans-receiver connection, if user wants to communicate with CAN nodes, we need to form a bus with out that it is not possible.

If you have any FMC cards which have can transceiver you can use it and connect CAN_L & CAN_H with proper termination resistors so that you can proceed.

If your intention is just to understand the functionality you can use loopback mode so that apart from sending the message on actual bus you can try message transfer.

Regards,

Venu

Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

This is the only FMC card I've run across yet with a CAN interface, and I'll readily admit it might be overkill...

https://www.xilinx.com/products/boards-and-kits/1-12nths4.html  (Multiport FMC Board)
https://soc-e.com/products/multiport-fmc-board/

You could also consider your own or a debugging/prototype style board and then add your own transceiver and connector.

Cheers,

bt

Highlighted
Observer
Observer

Hi Venu,

Thank you very much for your kindly reply. But I am still a little confused. And I have another two questions.

Note my intention is to use ZCU111 board to communicate with another board through CAN interface.

1) How is the FMC card connect to ZCU111 board?

2)What do I need to do in my Vivado project?

Best regards,

Guohong

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Observer
Observer

Hi barriet,

Thanks for your reply.

Because I have never used FMC card and CAN interface before so I am still a little confused about the connection between ZCU111 board and the FMC board. So can you give me some detail information or operation?

Best regards,

Guohong

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hi,

FMC card is extension card for evaluation boards, where we can plug in to extend the functionality.

You can find out FMC connectors also over the board.

Regards,

Venu

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Observer
Observer

Hi,

Here is the figure of zcu111 board.

zcu111.PNGIn my application, I used 34 and 35 to plug in the HW-FMC-XM500 card. 

The other FMC interface is 27, right?

Is there any FMC card for CAN interface recommended? It will be very helpful.

Best regards

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hi,

I suggest you to reach our FAE/DFAE for such kind of help for better reach.

Regards,

Venu

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Observer
Observer

Hi venu, 

Thanks again.

The last question.

As I mentioned  in my post, what do I need to do  in the Vivado project in order to use the CAN interface through FMC card?

I just did the following work in my project:

1) enable CAN0

CAN.PNG

2) After enable the CAN0, I got "emio_can0_phy_tx" and ''emio_can0_phy_rx" in my Vivado project.

zynq.PNG

Then I tried to assigned these two ports to FPGA pins. But I did not find a suitable position for these two ports.

Am I right? Do I need some other operations in my project? 

Best regards,

Guohong

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hi,

You need to find out the correct pins which are going to the FMC card to communicate with CAN PHY after getting the pin names you can write pin constraints in the .xdc files to map the pins to FMC card.

Regards,

Venu

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Observer
Observer

OK, got it. Thanks.

Best regards

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Observer
Observer

Hi,

I am trying to connect the pin"emio_can0_phy_tx" and "emio_can0_phy_rx" to PMOD, so that I can use the "Pmod CAN: CAN 2.0B Controller with Integrated Transceiver". The information of this card is here: https://www.xilinx.com/products/boards-and-kits/1-qfu011.html

1112.PNG

i do the following steps In Vivado:

1113.PNGBut I got the report that the level of PMOD is “LVCMOS12” and the level of “emio_can0_phy_rx” is “LVCMOS18”,so Vivado project compilation failed. How can i slove this problem? Or is there a problem with my usage?

Best regards,

Guohong

0 Kudos