cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
joancab
Teacher
Teacher

DMA examples don't run

I have been fighting for a couple of weeks with the provided example xaxidma_example_sgcyclic_intr. Everything apparently correct, all returned statuses of the operations okay but no data comes out of the MM2S.

Then I tried other examples, xaxidma_example_sg_intr and xaxidma_example_sg_poll.

They all do the same, run to the point waiting for completion and loop there forever.

So, I'm concluding my hardware might be wrong. Below is a snapshot. There is AR 57550 with full projects for similar examples but unfortunately only for zc702 and zedboard. May I suggest these examples to include just the block diagram tcl so they would be more usable?

Any thoughts on what can I double check on my hw? (I ran out of ideas...)

joancab_0-1615544171698.png

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
joancab
Teacher
Teacher

Memory is mapped as follows what shouldn't be a problem. Board is TE0803 with 4 GB RAM. BD buffers start at 0x1000_0000 and data buffers at 0x1010_0000

joancab_0-1615548228425.png

0 Kudos
florentw

HI @joancab 

no data comes out of the MM2S

So you are checking with an ILA on the AXI4-Stream interface? How are you triggering?

Did you try to look at other interfaces like the SG interface? Do you see any transaction?

Florent
Product Application Engineer - Xilinx Technical Support EMEA
**~ Don't forget to reply, give kudos, and accept as solution.~**
0 Kudos
joancab
Teacher
Teacher

I trigger on rising edges on Tvalid, all AXI ports OR'ed. I added a getchar() to allow me to connect the hardware manager then resume the software. With that I could capture some transactions on the Axi Lite port to configure the DMA, but other ports are inactive even with 16k samples.

Besides that I added print's at both Rx and Tx interrupt functions. Nothing is printed out as nothing comes out of the MM2S and nothing is received by the S2MM.

Yesterday night I dumped and examined the BD fields and they seem okay, I could see the RunState field changes from 2 (HALTED) to 1 (NOT HALTED) after XAxiDma_BdRingStart but is dead.

I'm now rebuilding the platform and project for the R5 core in case there is a problem with a53 and/or 64-bit architecture.

0 Kudos
joancab
Teacher
Teacher

Oh, man, it looks like there is a problem with these examples on the a53 cores and/or 64-bit architecture. On r5/ 32-bit:

joancab_0-1615550928642.png

Now my example-based code works as well, and ILA shows activity and I can see the interrupts triggered. That will soften my weekend, phew.

joancab_1-1615553139273.png

0 Kudos