Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Explorer
Explorer

Do I need to Disable Dcache in lwip?

Jump to solution
Dear all,
I would like to thank you all for ur support.
And I expect same for upcoming problem.

I have few question about lwip,I would be grateful if someone comment on this!
1.is there a way to copy data p_>payload to ddr2 address reliably without DisablingDcache?
In my case I have to call this function if I want to copy my data correctly.and calling this function reduces the speed by 10 times.(from 750 Mb/s to 75 Mb/s)
2.Is lwip really been tested by xilinx with success of data being copied correctly.xapp1026 document speaks some number but I fail to understand if xilinx has really given some tested template for development for user.
3.is there a way to get to know about the next packet packet information. P-> next show 0 always.
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Explorer
Explorer

Dear all,

Here is the solution to above mentioned problem.

Just flush the cache the cache memory beforing invoking your dma to read the data. 

Xil_DCacheFlush();

For me it is working fine "till now".

With Regards

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Highlighted
Explorer
Explorer
Dear all,
I would like to clarify my question if it is not clear.

I transfer my data using lwip and copy to specific memory location (I still have speed of 750 Mb/s) . I can read the copied data which looks absolutely correct. But I can't read it through my PL . My PL read data from same memory location is not correct. When I disable the cache everything is fine but then I loose my speed by factor of 10. Please suggest me some way out to this. This seems to be standard problem and I believe xilinx will have solution to this. Please help me here.! I would be grateful for your help.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Explorer
Explorer

Dear all,

Here is the solution to above mentioned problem.

Just flush the cache the cache memory beforing invoking your dma to read the data. 

Xil_DCacheFlush();

For me it is working fine "till now".

With Regards

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Explorer
Explorer

It's not clear why you are trying to deal with the cache on your own. Are you having some sort of issue?

Altough I have not looked at it recently, the lwip driver used to handle cache issues. For example, in the 2014.2 version, there is a file:

C:\Xilinx\SDK\2014.2\data\embeddedsw\ThirdParty\sw_services\lwip140_v2_1\src\contrib\ports\xilinx\netif\xemacpsif_dma.c

In emacps_recv_handler(), on line 341 you will find:

Xil_DCacheInvalidateRange((unsigned int)p->payload, (unsigned)XEMACPS_MAX_FRAME_SIZE);

and on line 192 in emacps_sgsend you will see:

Xil_DCacheFlushRange((unsigned int)q->payload, (unsigned)q->len);

You are only solving half the problem and not very efficiently since you flush the entire D-cache.

I believe the Xilinx driver is also unncessaryily invalidating the entire XEMACPS_MAX_FRAME_SIZE instead p->len. Xil_DCacheInvalidateRange and Xil_DCacheFlushRange had bugs that may or may not have been fixed (I'm guessing not).

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Dear vidyut,

First of all, I would like to thank your for sharing your solution. 

I have exactly your situation. My application use UDP instead of TCP. In PS side; UDP callback function received payload, and store it in memory DDR3. I used memcpy() function to do that. In PL side; VDMA used to read payload from DDR3.

There are multiple questions, and I hope you can answer:

- In UDP callback function, after receive payload, and store it in DDR3, I will use Xil_DCacheFlush(). Is that right ?

- Did you find better solution than  ?

- Have try to change gcc optimization level into (-o2) as recommended in (xapp1026.pdf). If yes then did you see any changes in performance ?

Best Regards,

tsharif

0 Kudos