cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

How many Virtex-5 slices does a MicroBlaze v7 soft processor take for FX70T platform?

Hi,

I was going through the datasheet for the MicroBlaze soft processor using XPS 11.5, and I could not find information about how many Virtex-5 slices one instance of the processor takes. 

In the following, link I found some info for Virtex-6 and Spartan-6, but a quick webseach did not directly reveal this info. 

http://www.xilinx.com/tools/microblaze.htm

Here for Virtex-6 it mentions 5788 LUTs performance optimized. 

My FX70T processor on the ML507 development board contains 11,200 Virtex-5 slices. The foot-note in the Virtex-5 family datasheet mentions that each Virtex-5 slice contains 4 LUTs. 

Does this mean that 1 instance of the MicroBlaze processor for the FX70T consumes approximately 5788/4= 1447 Virtex-5 slices?

Best regards,

Elvis

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hi Elvis

This 5788 LUTs resource usage contains other perpherals, LMB, BUS, external memory controller, debugger, uart, etc.

So, it is not just about MB resouce usage.

Generally, MB conusmes around 1000 logic cell (1LUT+1 FF), for more accurate number, create a design on ML507, and then refer to the MB core synthesis report, this can help you get the resouce usage.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

You may also find this useful:

http://forums.xilinx.com/t5/Embedded-Processing/MicroBlaze-7-0-How-much-resources-does-it-use-up/m-p/69285;

As suggested, it is often easiest to do a test build using the specific configuration(s) you are interested in.

bt

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hi,

MicroBlaze size is also very dependent on the configuration.

In the smallest configuration, it takes around 600 LUTs in Virtex5 and by adding FPU,MMU,Caches,... it can easily grow to 4000 LUTs or more.

So your configuration really determines the size.

Göran

0 Kudos