cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
daryon
Adventurer
Adventurer

In ZYNQ FPGA : Who is controlling the AXI Memory-Mapped to PCI Express module? The PL or the Microcontroller in PS?

Jump to solution

Dear all,

Previously, I was working with Kintex-7 KC705 FPGA board where I was emplyoing the AXI Memory Mapped to PCI Express module with Microblaze to read/write data from/to PCI. Now, I have migrated to ZYNQ FPGA ZC706, I am wondering which module will be responsible to control the AXI Memory Mapped to PCI Express module? Is it the PL part or the ZYNQ processing system module which is the ARM Microcontroller inside the PS?

I had a look to this document but I did not get the answer to my qestion.

Thanks and Regards,

Daryon

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
daryon
Adventurer
Adventurer

Hi,

I found the answer:

The ZYNQ is an SoC, not an FPGA! so, the PS is the master and the PL is the slave parts joined in a single chip. Generally, both PL and PS can access to the AXI PCIe module or any other module, but it depends what you want to do after you access the module?! If you want to initialize the module or program it through the PL, you will have no way except using the Microblaze in the PL! However, accesingthe module through PS will be more straightforward and does not require Microblaze since the PS (dualcore ARM cortex-9) FPGA will take care of that.

Hope it can help the other who have the same question.

Bests,

Daryon

View solution in original post

1 Reply
daryon
Adventurer
Adventurer

Hi,

I found the answer:

The ZYNQ is an SoC, not an FPGA! so, the PS is the master and the PL is the slave parts joined in a single chip. Generally, both PL and PS can access to the AXI PCIe module or any other module, but it depends what you want to do after you access the module?! If you want to initialize the module or program it through the PL, you will have no way except using the Microblaze in the PL! However, accesingthe module through PS will be more straightforward and does not require Microblaze since the PS (dualcore ARM cortex-9) FPGA will take care of that.

Hope it can help the other who have the same question.

Bests,

Daryon

View solution in original post