Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

Installing a fully functioning Linux on Zynq 7000 - ZC702 Baord

Hello.

I'm kind of new to the FPGA/SoC world, so I ask you to please bear with me. In my job I've been given a Zynq 7000 - ZC702 Board and was tasked with getting it to work with an inhouse image processing software. I was given the task because I was the one that designed that software for the most part. The application itself uses standard C++ and the OpenCV libraries. My reasoning is that I need to get a Linux up and running and then use the packet manager to download and install all programs and dependencies (libraries and compilers) and then compile the application itself, as if the platform were an ordinary computer. At this point performance is NOT an issue so it doesn't matter if it goes slowly,

My first question is if this is possible? I'm assuming it is, but I wanted to ask anyways, just to cover my bases.

My second questions is this: Where can I find a good tutorial on how to get a fully functioning Linux in the board? Most of the stuff I see is really old (about 3 years). I need to use the HDMI output, the USB OTG to get at least a keyboard (although mouse and keyboard would be ideal) and the Ethernet connection to download all the stuff I need. I don't care about the distribution as I've managed to make my program work with no problem in both Debian and RedHat families of SO.

I'm at a bit of a loss so I would appreciate any information to help kickstart this project.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Highlighted
Advisor
Advisor

Re: Installing a fully functioning Linux on Zynq 7000 - ZC702 Baord

Most of the examples are really old because the board is (in relative terms) really old; the examples were released when the board was, and since they worked fine nobody has seen the need to move them to a newer platform.

I would suggest the Analog Devices Linux with HDMI output reference design. Xilinx has their own, but it uses the non-free LogiCore video controller (only lets you use it for an hour at a time). The Analog Devices one includes a very minimal video controller (it's mainly an example of how to use the ADV7511 HDMI chip), which is completely free.

Keep in mind that the ZC702 does not have any sort of GPU - even 2D drawing operations get done by the CPU. As a result, even a basic Linux desktop environment can be pretty slow. If this is for a new development project, I'd seriously consider asking your boss to just buy a shiny new ZCU104. It's not all that expensive, and it's got a next-generation Zynq on it (the Zynq UltraScale+ ZU7EV) which includes DisplayPort, SATA, USB3.0, a dedicated 2D/3D GPU, and a whole lot more FPGA logic than the ZC702 did.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

Re: Installing a fully functioning Linux on Zynq 7000 - ZC702 Baord

Unfortunately buying something new is not an option right now. But I was looking at that example, so I was in the right track. Thanks.

0 Kudos