Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Adventurer
Adventurer

Low Rx and Tx throughput with Treck TCP on SP601

Hello all,

I have implemented the TCP/IP demo provided by Treck on SP601 board. I am using the standalone version and getting around 53 Mbps in both 100 Mbps and 1000 Mbps mode for TCP server and around 67 Mbps in both 100 Mbps and 1000 Mbps mode for TCP Client. I was expecting that there would be a considerable difference between the data transfer rates in 100 Mbps and 1000 Mbps mode. I have verified from Hyperterminal messages and LAN icon that it is actually working in the correct modes.

Has anybody faced this issue with the Treck demo on SP601 kit? Can somebody please help me find the reason for getting the same data transfer rate in both 100 and 1000 Mbps mode?

Also I would like to know why I am getting a UDP server receive throughput of around 1.05 Mbps.

Regards,

wg

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Highlighted
Instructor
Instructor

I'm not an FPGA TCP/IP wizard, but you should check for any 100BT (rather than 1000BT) link components in your endpoint to endpoint chain.  Just because your endpoints support 1000BT doesn't mean there isn't a 100BT switch somewhere in the middle.

- Bob Elkind

SIGNATURE:
README for newbies is here: http://forums.xilinx.com/t5/New-Users-Forum/README-first-Help-for-new-users/td-p/219369

Summary:
1. Read the manual or user guide. Have you read the manual? Can you find the manual?
2. Search the forums (and search the web) for similar topics.
3. Do not post the same question on multiple forums.
4. Do not post a new topic or question on someone else's thread, start a new thread!
5. Students: Copying code is not the same as learning to design.
6 "It does not work" is not a question which can be answered. Provide useful details (with webpage, datasheet links, please).
7. You are not charged extra fees for comments in your code.
8. I am not paid for forum posts. If I write a good post, then I have been good for nothing.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Adventurer
Adventurer

Hello Bob,

Thanks for your reply. Actually there are only two nodes, the PC and the FPGA. The PC and FPGA are directly connected with CAT.5E cable. There are no switches or any other components in between.

Regards,

wg

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Instructor
Instructor

Could be the link isn't the bottleneck, but have you checked the PC's network port hardware settings?  Of course you have, I apologise.

Well, if the throughput bottleneck isn't in the physical link, it's either in the stack and/or application layers, in either the PC or the FPGA.  Agreed?

By the way, 53Mbps is pretty respectable throughput for a 100BT link.

- Bob Elkind

SIGNATURE:
README for newbies is here: http://forums.xilinx.com/t5/New-Users-Forum/README-first-Help-for-new-users/td-p/219369

Summary:
1. Read the manual or user guide. Have you read the manual? Can you find the manual?
2. Search the forums (and search the web) for similar topics.
3. Do not post the same question on multiple forums.
4. Do not post a new topic or question on someone else's thread, start a new thread!
5. Students: Copying code is not the same as learning to design.
6 "It does not work" is not a question which can be answered. Provide useful details (with webpage, datasheet links, please).
7. You are not charged extra fees for comments in your code.
8. I am not paid for forum posts. If I write a good post, then I have been good for nothing.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Adventurer
Adventurer

Hello Bob,

Yes, I have checked the PC's network port settings and they are correct. The problem might be in the stack/ application layer in FPGA or with the options I chose before running the test. I guess I needed a confirmation from somebody that they have got more than 53 Mbps in 1000 Mbps mode while implementing the Treck demo on SP601 and possibly some pointers to what I could be doing wrong.

You are right, 53 Mbps is good throughput for 100BT link. But the problem is that I am getting the same throughput for a 1000BT link.

Regards,

wg

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Adventurer
Adventurer

Hi,

I think, you can push out a little more performance out of it. See my post  UDP performance.

Regards, Thomas

0 Kudos
Adventurer
Adventurer

Hello Thomas,

Thanks for your reply. I saw your post, but my question is specifically about Treck IP and even more specifically about the Treck demo for SP601 provided by Treck. But thanks anyway.

Regards,

wg

0 Kudos