cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kyiv.office
Visitor
Visitor

MicroBlaze and schematic

If I have a big project designed in schematic with PicoBlaze. Can I update project with MicroBlaze? How I can combine schematic project and MicroBlaze?
0 Kudos
4 Replies
bassman59
Historian
Historian

kyiv.office wrote:
If I have a big project designed in schematic with PicoBlaze. Can I update project with MicroBlaze? How I can combine schematic project and MicroBlaze?

You do realize that changing from PicoBlaze to MicroBlaze is a non-trivial exercise, right?

----------------------------Yes, I do this for a living.
0 Kudos
gszakacs
Professor
Professor

It is possible to build an embedded processor using microblaze in the BSB tool.  You can then include

the microblaze project in an ISE project by adding the .xmp file to your project in the ISE GUI.  Then you

can go under the processes for the CPU and create a schematic symbol if your top level project is

schematic.  I haven't tried this myself because I hate Xilinx's schematic tools, at least since they

got rid of Aldec schematics.  So I use HDL for the top level project as well, and the tool flow seems

to work best in this mode.  I assume you have a copy of the XPS tools?  Microblaze is not available

under the ISE webpack.

-- Gabor
0 Kudos
kyiv.office
Visitor
Visitor

In really I have debugged schematic project with 2 PicoBlaze. I need to add Ethernet and same processing functions.

The best decision is substitution of 2 PicoBlaze with more power MicroBlaze.

0 Kudos
kyiv.office
Visitor
Visitor

Thank you gszakacs for advice. I will do it and will let you know about results.

One more question:

Can I debug MicroBlaze soft (in XDK) without Xilinx Board Description file (*.xbd)? How? I would like to use MicroBlaze like a part of my (schematic) project.

I downloaded Xilinx_11.1_ISE for estimation. If test will be successful I will buy these tools.

0 Kudos