Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
alvaro27
Adventurer
Adventurer

Minimum address size fneeded for a custom IP

Jump to solution

Hello people,

I am trying to improve the performance of my design.To do this, I need to know how I can get the minimum address size needed for some custom IPs.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
aminfar1
Explorer
Explorer

It really depends on your custom IP. People usually set it to 64K. You have a lot of address space available. I cannot imagine how someone can run out of memory space. You have a 32-bit address space: 4 GB.

when you assign memory space to a custom IP, you are only mapping some address space for a custom IP, but it does not mean that you are using that amount of memory. So don't worry. A larger memory address space does not mean more BRAMs. In breif, there is no need to minimize address size, or at least I cannot find any reasons to do so. The only time that you might want to minimize address space is when you run out of address space. And as I said, it is almost impossible to use 4 GB of address space.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
aminfar1
Explorer
Explorer

It really depends on your custom IP. People usually set it to 64K. You have a lot of address space available. I cannot imagine how someone can run out of memory space. You have a 32-bit address space: 4 GB.

when you assign memory space to a custom IP, you are only mapping some address space for a custom IP, but it does not mean that you are using that amount of memory. So don't worry. A larger memory address space does not mean more BRAMs. In breif, there is no need to minimize address size, or at least I cannot find any reasons to do so. The only time that you might want to minimize address space is when you run out of address space. And as I said, it is almost impossible to use 4 GB of address space.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
alvaro27
Adventurer
Adventurer

Thank you very much for your help.

Best regards.

0 Kudos
jimbrady
Contributor
Contributor

I have been using 64K for all my cores, including custom cores, even tho a lot of them need just a few addresses in memory space.  The more finely you decode addresses the more decoder hardware is needed.

But you could try setting address size to say 16 addresses and see if it affects performance.

Jim

0 Kudos