Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bklopp
Contributor
Contributor

No communication: MicroBlaze with AXI Ethernet Subsystem with DMA on Nexys4 DDR

Jump to solution

bd.PNG

I am trying to get basic ethernet communication working with the AXI Ethernet Subsystem and DMA in a MicroBlaze design using a Nexys4 DDR board, I generated this design and get the following critical warnings:

critical_warning.png

I think the 12-1790 warning can be disregarded because my evaluation license is still current:

current_license.png

https://store.digilentinc.com/nexys-4-ddr-artix-7-fpga-trainer-board-recommended-for-ece-curriculum/

I'm not sure what is causing the other critical warnings. I have the implementation and synthesis logs attached to this post.

I created a Peripheral Tests project in SDK

test.PNG

and hangs at the "Running AxiEthernetSgDmaIntrExample() for axi_ethernet_0..." line:

terminal.PNG

More specifically, when I step through the program, it hangs at line 606 of xaxiethernet_example_intr_sgdma.c

hang.PNG

I also created a lwip Echo Server example project:

lwip.PNG

But cannot connect when using Terra Term, I get a "connection refused" message on the PC side.

I also noted that the LINK/ACT and 100/10 leds do not light up on the Nexys4 DDR board while running either the peripheral or lwip SDK projects, which tells me it's definitely a hardware problem since those leds lit up on a previous hardware design using the AXI Ethernetlite on the same board. 

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
bklopp
Contributor
Contributor

I figured out the problem. The AXI Ethernet Subsystem is not compatible with the Nexys 4 DDR, since the PHY on that board is not a gigabit PHY, so it requires a RMII interface, while the AXI Ethernet Subsystem can only support RGMII or GMII.

I purchased a nexys video board, which has a gigabit PHY that supports RGMII and is therefore compatible with the AXI Ethernet subsystem.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
savula

Hi @bklopp,

Please check this 

https://github.com/andrewandrepowell/mic_gather_data

Best Regards,
Srikanth
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.

Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented.

bklopp
Contributor
Contributor

I figured out the problem. The AXI Ethernet Subsystem is not compatible with the Nexys 4 DDR, since the PHY on that board is not a gigabit PHY, so it requires a RMII interface, while the AXI Ethernet Subsystem can only support RGMII or GMII.

I purchased a nexys video board, which has a gigabit PHY that supports RGMII and is therefore compatible with the AXI Ethernet subsystem.

View solution in original post

mr.ex
Observer
Observer
You are fundamentally wrong. AXI Ethernet Subsystem is support MMI which can be connected to RMII for the LAN8720 via the "mii_to_rmii" ip core.
0 Kudos