Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Professor
Professor

Options for external MicroBlaze memory in Kintex-7 other than SODIMM

Jump to solution

I'm starting a new design with Kintex-7 for which I will need an embedded processor, preferably MicroBlaze.  The system will be mostly RTL design and will be designed in ISE 14.7 because of restrictions from other IP in the design.  When I try to configure a MicroBlaze in the base system builder and give it external DDR3 memory, the only option I see is for 64-bit wide.  For my embedded system this is huge overkill and I can't afford the board or I/O resources to implement a 64-bit wide memory just for the MicroBlaze.  In fact I may be able to use only internal BRAM, but I want some external memory in case the software grows unexpectedly large.

I'd like to know if it is possible to add a smaller DDR3 memory interface like one 16-bit wide chip, which would fit in a single HP bank.

Alternately is there a way to get an interface to an external MIG subsystem, which has this implementation option?

Lastly what other options are available for a relatively small external memory for MicroBlaze in 7-series parts in ISE?

-- Gabor
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Professor
Professor

I couldn't find anything in that data sheet that says the width is configurable in the "EDK flow."  Also when using BSB, there is only one option in the pull-down for external DDR3 memory (see attached picture).  However what I missed is that after generating the processor, another pop-up comes up with the text:

Invoke MIG after the project is created and set appropriate values for memory controller for axi_7series_ddrx.

It doesn't actually say how to "Invoke MIG," but I eventually stumbled on it by double-clicking "DDR3_SDRAM_MT41J128M8XX_125" in the Bus Interfaces view of XPS.

At that point I was able to customize the memory for a single 16-bit-wide DDR3 part and fit it in a single bank (requires using internal Vref).

-- Gabor

View solution in original post

Add_DDR3_Memory.PNG
Invoke_MIG.PNG
0 Kudos
2 Replies
Highlighted

Hi,

Please check in https://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/ip_documentation/ug586_7Series_MIS.pdf as you can configure 16 bitwide  DDR3.

Regards

Praveen

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don’t forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Professor
Professor

I couldn't find anything in that data sheet that says the width is configurable in the "EDK flow."  Also when using BSB, there is only one option in the pull-down for external DDR3 memory (see attached picture).  However what I missed is that after generating the processor, another pop-up comes up with the text:

Invoke MIG after the project is created and set appropriate values for memory controller for axi_7series_ddrx.

It doesn't actually say how to "Invoke MIG," but I eventually stumbled on it by double-clicking "DDR3_SDRAM_MT41J128M8XX_125" in the Bus Interfaces view of XPS.

At that point I was able to customize the memory for a single 16-bit-wide DDR3 part and fit it in a single bank (requires using internal Vref).

-- Gabor

View solution in original post

Add_DDR3_Memory.PNG
Invoke_MIG.PNG
0 Kudos