cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
fiedel
Explorer
Explorer

Replacing AXI Interconnect IP with AXI SmartConnect IP?

I usually let Vivado do AXI connections automatically. I'm working on a project in which PS sends/receives data through AXIS data FIFO, and writes to a register file in PL through AXI-Lite. Vivado connected the IPs using both AXI Interconnect and AXI SmartConnect:

ai-asmc.png

In which M00_AXI is AXI-Lite and connects to PL.

Address map:

ai-asmc-addr.png

I haven't run software yet but at least the block design passed validation without errors.

Since AXI SmartConnect is to replace AXI Interconnect, I manually changed the block design by removing AXI Interconnect and moving the connections to AXI SmartConnect. I got :

asmc.png

Let Vivado automatically assign addresses:

asmc-addr.png

And it failed validation:

asmc-err.png

So my questions are:

- Is it reasonable to replace AXI Interconnect with AXI SmartConnect?

- How do I assign addresses for these blocks?

Thank you for suggestions.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
florentw

HI @fiedel 

- Is it reasonable to replace AXI Interconnect with AXI SmartConnect?

Yes this should be possible. With that said you are not forced to do it

- How do I assign addresses for these blocks?

I would say that this issue is coming because the address were assigned when you had the interconnect. I would suggest few different things:

• In the block automation window, sometimes you can choose what type of interconnect you want vivado to instantiate. If you can select the smartconnect at this level
  • If possible replace the interconnect with the smartconnect before running the validation of the design
  • And i you are facing the error you have, maybe try to unmap the addresses in the address editor tab and assign them automatically again.

Florent
Product Application Engineer - Xilinx Technical Support EMEA
**~ Don't forget to reply, give kudos, and accept as solution.~**
0 Kudos
adem369
Contributor
Contributor

You should be careful when using smartconnect because it has some limitations. Refer PG247 page 7-8.

0 Kudos