cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SDIO EMIO for MPSoC

Jump to solution

I am attempting to use SDIO via EMIO to communicate with a device.  Can someone explain the *_cmdena signals?  I know they involve using it as a input to an IOBUF, but I cannot find documentatation on it.  Do I simply hook up to the T input of an IOBUF or does it need to be inverted?

image.png

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
It turns out that the inverter in the above post must be implicit somewhere in the design. The inverter does not need to be placed in the design. We have _ena signal going straight to the T input of IOBUF

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
9 Replies
jg_bds
Scholar
Scholar

In a situation like this, when you're not sure what to do, you should ask yourself one question: WWXD? (What would Xilinx do?)

That's easy to figure out.

First, select the troublesome interface pin on the MPSoC IP in your block diagram, and then hit <CTRL+T> to elevate the interface to a top-level interface port.

2019-10-25_13-35-33.jpg

Then synthesize the design and open its schematic.

2019-10-25_15-00-51.jpg

Be sure to open all of the hierarchy levels between the two points of interest (the PSU and the IO cell, in this case).

2019-10-25_14-53-20.jpg

As you can see, Vivado is inserting a LUT to do an inversion between the high-active ENA pin in the PSU interface, and the high-active TRI pin of the IO cell.

-Joe G.

0 Kudos
It turns out that the inverter in the above post must be implicit somewhere in the design. The inverter does not need to be placed in the design. We have _ena signal going straight to the T input of IOBUF

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
joe306
Scholar
Scholar

Hello, I'm trying to do some similar and maybe you can help me. Here is what I have:

SD.jpg

I'm not sure how to wire up the SD Clk. I am new to this and from what I've found I need to use an IOBUF on the Bidirectional signals. I got the CMD and the DATA but the CLK I don't know what to connect the T port to? Should it be connected to the same T port as the CMD?

Thank you,

Joe

0 Kudos
jg_bds
Scholar
Scholar

SD through EMIO supports only the lowest speeds, so the clock is always driven by the PSU--it's never the inbound "receive" clock used by faster protocols.

Absent a tri-state control output pin from the PSU (~.T), I would simply ground the tri-state control input pin of your IO buffer. The clock will always be driven out, and the feedback clock will always be returned.

-Joe G.

0 Kudos
joe306
Scholar
Scholar

Hello, thank you for responding to my post. How about this:

block.jpg

On another post it was suggested to tie the tri-state control input pin high. Am I wrong? What do you suggest?

Thank you

0 Kudos
jg_bds
Scholar
Scholar

You should ground the .T pin:

IOBUF_US.png

Also, you needn't create RTL to do this. Vivado has a "Constant" IP that can be used to connect inputs to constant logic high (1) or low (0).

7-28-2020 3-21-20 PM.png

-Joe G.

joe306
Scholar
Scholar

Yep! Thank you very much. I was just looking at the UG571 page 54 but your reference is must more detailed. Thank you very much. Do you know if there are any examples of the PS side that I can try read/writing to an SD card?

Joe

0 Kudos
jg_bds
Scholar
Scholar

Sorry; I'm just a HW guy. Accessing SD is almost as miserable an experience as accessing USB: you really need layers of SW to get anything done, and I'm not familiar with the specific processes and functions. (I rely on U-Boot and Linux commands to do anything with such interfaces.)

-Joe G.

joe306
Scholar
Scholar

Thanks Joe. I'm a HW guy too and have not used Linux. I wonder if I could get things working with FreeRTOS?

0 Kudos