Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Adventurer
Adventurer

SDK debugs causes MMU section translation fault

Jump to solution

I would like to share my observations of the below:

Problem:

In SDK and launching an application to "Debug As -> Launch on Hardware (GDB)", SDK reports, 

"Unexpected error while launching program: Error while running ps7_init method.  Cannot read from target

MMU section translation fault                                                                                                                          "

Observation:

This problem occurs when I let Zynq boots to Linux.  If I breaks into U-boot, I don't get the error and I can launch my debug application.

Solution:

Break into U-boot if you wish to launch your own application for debugging.

My setup:

Microzed in SD card boot mode, cascaded JTAG.

Regards,

Neo

Tags (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Adventurer
Adventurer

The error is probably due to ARM MMU up and running and protected mode operations when Linux boots.  

I was making use of uboot to configure some low level peripherals so that my applications jump straight in to send data.  Sometimes I was slow at interrupting the boot process and the error occurred. Yeah, if you really do not need uboot, simply boot in jtag mode.

As to the Bhaskarnallani's question, I guess you have to learn how to Linux device driver and apps.

Neo

View solution in original post

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
11 Replies
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee
Hi,

Thanks for your effort in sharing your observation and solution.

This may help many to overcome the issue.

Regards,
Achutha
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.

Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Visitor
Visitor

I have benefited greatly from your answer,Thank you very much.

but do you know why now?

0 Kudos
Visitor
Visitor

but i don't know why?

0 Kudos

Thanks man.

It helped to run my first simple IP on the Zynq706.

I would like to check how to run the same kind of application in linux and interact with my hardware IP.

Thanks

Bhaskar

0 Kudos
Visitor
Visitor

I had the same problem.  I switched to not booting from SD and it seems to take care of it.  I'm a Zynq/ARM noob, but I just noticed this, and I'm sure its for a very good reason that I do not know.

0 Kudos
Adventurer
Adventurer

The error is probably due to ARM MMU up and running and protected mode operations when Linux boots.  

I was making use of uboot to configure some low level peripherals so that my applications jump straight in to send data.  Sometimes I was slow at interrupting the boot process and the error occurred. Yeah, if you really do not need uboot, simply boot in jtag mode.

As to the Bhaskarnallani's question, I guess you have to learn how to Linux device driver and apps.

Neo

View solution in original post

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Adventurer
Adventurer

I have the same question: currently we are designing our own zynq board for production; the hardware engineer wants to hardwire the zynq to boot from SD mode, but I am worried that then we wouldn't be able to debug from SDK;

has anyone else run into this? should we add a jumper to the board to switch from SD mode to JTAG mode?

0 Kudos
Visitor
Visitor
I have the same bug, this post helped me a lot. many thanks
regards
Pogany
0 Kudos
Adventurer
Adventurer

found the solution; create a simple helloworld BOOT.BIN file and write it to the SD card;

now you can debug from JTAG;

0 Kudos
Visitor
Visitor
A few years later.... I had a similar problem.
Check the installation of jumper JTAG BOOT MODE

AlexD
0 Kudos
Observer
Observer

I had the same bug. I think,  problem is ddr access .

In [app_project_path]\src\lscript.ld all the section to memory mapping was set to ps7_ddr_0.

so I changed all of this part to ps7_ram_0 and so it worked. 

0 Kudos